Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roy_Smith
Collaborator
Jump to solution

Dynamic balancing vs dynamic dispatcher

Hi

I feel like I'm missing something so I'm hoping someone clear this up for me please.

Is there a difference between CoreXL Dynamic Dispatcher and Dynamic Balancing for CoreXL? I've looked at  sk105261 and sk164155 and both appear to do the same job, so am I reading them correctly?

Or is Dynamic Balancing just a different method of implementing the same thing?

Apologies if it seems obvious and thanks for any help in advance.

Many thanks
Roy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Dynamic Dispatcher changes how the existing CoreXL instances are used.
Dynamic Balancing changes the SND/FWK split (ie number of CoreXL instances).
They are complimentary features.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Dynamic Dispatcher changes how the existing CoreXL instances are used.
Dynamic Balancing changes the SND/FWK split (ie number of CoreXL instances).
They are complimentary features.

Roy_Smith
Collaborator

Thanks for the response.

With VSX, do you still to enable CoreXL on each VS before enabling dynamic dispatching?

Thanks
Roy

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
0 Kudos
Roy_Smith
Collaborator

I certainly have CoreXL disabled on some virtual systems, which is shown when I run fw ctl multik stat and it replies with "CoreXl is disabled" I have always put this down to the CoreXL instance, configured through Smartconsole, for the virtual system, being left at the default of 1. For virtual systems where I change this, then CoreXL is enabled and I can use fw ctl multik stat to see the connections across instance.

But for some virtual systems, where the CoreXL instance is 1 and I have used affinity to assign multiple CPU cores, how does the load get split across the CPUs? Or does it? 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

CoreXL only makes sense in general if you have at least four cores assigned to a VS.
That said I think Dynamic Dispatcher will only work if CoreXL is enabled and is above a certain number of cores (don't recall offhand).

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Sorry, Dameon, this is not exactly correct: "CoreXL only makes sense in general if you have at least four cores assigned to a VS."

Even with 2 cores per VS, dynamic dispatcher is enabled and working, with R80.20 and up. Before that version, it was not supported for VSX.

However, there are known issue with uneven distribution, mentioned in sk169352 and subsequently fixed. 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events