Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
net-harry
Collaborator
Jump to solution

Disabling physical interfaces in VSX

Hi,

We have some physical interfaces on a VSX cluster that are no longer used. How do I disable them?

I noticed in sk92311 that "set interface INTERFACE_NAME state" is blocked in CLI. The sk says "Some settings on Security Gateway / Cluster in VSX mode should be configured only via the SmartDashboard (e.g., adding VLAN interfaces)". However, I am not able to find where to disable physical interfaces in the SmartConsole.

Thanks for your help!

Harry

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
To issue any interface command once you have changed the box to VSX is only possible when you turn VSX "off" for a few moments to allow you to issue those commands.
So this is the way:
set vsx off
set interface eth3 state off
set interface eth4 state off
set vsx on
Done.
Actually all set vsx on does, it disables a number of commands and it show a page that the WebUI cannot be used when you try to.
Regards, Maarten

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
To issue any interface command once you have changed the box to VSX is only possible when you turn VSX "off" for a few moments to allow you to issue those commands.
So this is the way:
set vsx off
set interface eth3 state off
set interface eth4 state off
set vsx on
Done.
Actually all set vsx on does, it disables a number of commands and it show a page that the WebUI cannot be used when you try to.
Regards, Maarten
net-harry
Collaborator
Thanks Maarten,
That worked very well!
Harry
0 Kudos
Jake_Williams
Participant

Follow up question to your statement - does that mean if I run "set vsx off" in clish, I can do some things through the WebUI? 

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
I would not recommend it but yes that would be possible.
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
TheRealDiZ
Collaborator

Hi guys, @Maarten_Sjouw @net-harry @Jake_Williams 

There is no other way to set a VSX interface off? Is there any official reference by CP?

Furthermore I have an issue on VSX where an interface that is not a cluster interface went down and so the Interface Active Check says "problem" . 

The cluster member is in down state due to this interface that is set as "state on" at GaiaOS level.

I just want to disable it without issuing set vsx off.

What set vsx off will cause?

Also why the Interface Active Check is checking an interface that is not part of cluster monitored interfaces?

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

D!Z

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
All that set vsx ON does:
it disables you from making changes to the interfaces
it disables the WebUI
So all set VSX off does is re-enable these two features.

That said, you should never leave vsx off on any VSX system when you made the required changes.
Regards, Maarten

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events