cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hugo_vd_Kooij
Advisor

Adding default gateway outside scope of interface

Gents,

I try to setup a lab gateway on my OVH server. But OVH has a rather odd setup.

1. External interface has a /32 netmask. For example: 137.1.2.3/32
  2. You need to setup a host route to the router (137.1.2.254 in this example) based on the interface.
  3. Then you need to setup the default gateway to the router.

The point is that step 1 and step 2 works on GAIA (R80.10 T421) but the 3rd step does give you no error but it will not actually setup the route.

set static-route 137.1.2.254/32 nexthop gateway logical eth1 priority 1 on
set static-route default nexthop gateway address 137.1.2.254 priority 1 on

Is there a trick to force GAIA to bring up the default gateway?

If I change the subnet mask to /24 it work but ...... OVH goes totally balistic if I configure it that way.

The other trick is to dump the default just on the interface eth1 and that will work as well

The next step is the wizard. It will not accept this netmask.

Did someone work this out with GAIA?

Can Someone from Check Point R&D get a little bit of budget to toy around on OVH and see if they can fix GAYA to work in such a setup?

<< We make miracles happen while you wait. The impossible jobs take just a wee bit longer. >>
0 Kudos
5 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Wouldn't a /32 subnet be a point-to-point interface?

In that case it would seem setting the default route to the interface in question is the correct way to configure this.

0 Kudos
Hugo_vd_Kooij
Advisor

The syntax is what I intend. But GAIA simply does not play ball here. It will not setup the default route to a host to which a route has been provided.

And the first time wizard is not even accepting this setting. So I have to work around that limitation too.

<< We make miracles happen while you wait. The impossible jobs take just a wee bit longer. >>
0 Kudos
Norbert_Bohusch
Advisor

Maybe information on sk92799 is helpful here.

So adding scopelocal might help! This helps in Scenarios where the default-gw is on different subnet than the interface IPs. Like in scenarios where cluster IP is in different subnet.

Hugo_vd_Kooij
Advisor

I tried the scenario in my cloud lab but the routing entry will not stick.

The article does not list R80 and R80.10 and I noticed the indicated file (/etc/routed.conf) does not contain the suggested information.

I have put in a note with the SK to ask if this is a known issue with R80. 

As of yet the ISP has not been making a fuss about the routing entry over the interface.

Pending the remark I made on th SK I may create a TAC ticket.

0 Kudos
nsamsin
Participant

Srry for reviving this ancient topic, but I was wondering if (and how) you eventually  managed to solve this particular OVH-lab challenge?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events