Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rui_Meleiro
Contributor

How to recover Google Authenticator application key?

1. A new user is created on Checkpoint Sandblast Mobile Dashboard
2. Its two factor authentication method is configured
3. A QR Code with the activation key to Google Authenticator is shown
4. That QR Code is scanned on the Google Authenticator app
5. The Google Authenticator app issues temporary codes for the Checkpoint Sandblast Mobile 
login.

Now - for some reason (no matter what that is) the Google Authenticator app has to be reinstalled. 
How would one repeat steps 3 to 5 above? 
Where would one get that QR Code or application key?
Did Checkpoint even consider that option??

Edit:

Finally got a meaningful answer from support - There are two possible solutions for the problem:

- Use other administrator account (if any) and remove the Two factor authentication

- Follow SK24724 and pretend the old administrator left and you don't know their password.

So, no, they didn't even thought of that option. You have the option to reset your password but no option at all to reset the two factor authentication process.

5 Replies
Daniel_Taney
Advisor

I had this exact same problem! I reached out to support and it seemed like no one could wrap their heads around what happened and why I was locked out. It seems like something kind of overlooked in regards to support considerations for SB Mobile! 

Luckily, we had a 2nd person set up as an administrator and he was able to remove it from my account. It still seems like there should be a better way, though!

R80 CCSA / CCSE
0 Kudos
Fabian-Antunes
Participant

Anything new on this? I had a problem with my phone and I had to reinstall the Google Auth App... 

0 Kudos
XBensemhoun
Employee
Employee

Hi Fabian Antunes and https://community.checkpoint.com/people/DTANEb4b37152-d764-4c4d-b1a6-25430ade17ab  : do you have finally answers needed? Does the issue is still there?

Information Security enthusiast, CISSP, CCSP
0 Kudos
Daniel_Taney
Advisor

Yes, thank you! I was able to have another administrator delete and re-create my account without 2FA. This time, I made sure to keep a backup of the Google Auth Key now that I know there's no way to preserve them in an iOS backup!

This is probably more of a shortcoming on Google Auth part, but now I know. Thanks for the followup!

R80 CCSA / CCSE
Fabian-Antunes
Participant

Yes, thank you. I've managed my way through support to find a nice guy named Dan Dorot (from the Endpoint Team) who has helped me and solved my problem.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events