cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukegodwin
Participant
Jump to solution

unconvert combined SMS/SG into only SMS

I have inherited a not quite right management server that continues to think it is also a security gateway. This was discovered after routine patching of the management box lead to loss of communications from both SmartConsole and the two security gateways that send logs to this SMS VM.

Note that this is inside a 'non-production' environment, thus explaining why this has not been noticed earlier.

From poking around, I found that expected traffic was being received by the vNIC, as confirmed by tcpdump and also that outbound pings worked.

After searching for SKs, I found What to do if the Security Management Server was also mistakenly installed as Security Gateway (chec.... Which did not help. But following the instructions in reverse did. However this is not permanent as the issue returns after each reboot of the management server.

I have tried logging a TAC case but that has yielded a best solution of "rebuild the box". While that is an perfect-world answer, it does not scratch the itch I have of "why does the management server all inbound packets when rebooted, after having followed sk38746"?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

Try also looking at https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk179444:

Migration from a Standalone environment to a Distributed environment

Obviously if you do not need the Security Gateway part then just follow the relevant parts for the Security Management.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

Try also looking at https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk179444:

Migration from a Standalone environment to a Distributed environment

Obviously if you do not need the Security Gateway part then just follow the relevant parts for the Security Management.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 08:00 AM (CDT)

Central US: What's New in R82?

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Wed 01 May 2024 @ 02:00 PM (EDT)

South US: HTTPS Inspection Best Practices

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 08:00 AM (CDT)

Central US: What's New in R82?

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)