Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fabz
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade - Management Smart-1

Hi Checkmates,

Next week i will perform upgrade manageemnt hardware only from 410(80.40) to 600-S(81.10). Im confused with the steps since the gateway also still on 80.40.

is below step already correct?

1. Perform migrate export from 410, then import to 600S
  2. re-create SIC from existing GW to new 600S?
  3. Upgrade the GW using Minimal Effort Upgrade on Primary then Secondary

Any suggestion or do I have wrong step?the Goals is minimum impact with the downtime. thankyou!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
the_rock
Legend
Legend

If you follow below link, you technically may not even have to do anything with SIC.

Andy

What is the version you plan to have on mgmt/gateways? I would strongly recommend R81.10 (plus whatever recommended jumbo is), though personally, I LOVE R81.20 management, so would go with that if you can, but would hold off having that version on firewalls, until its recommended officially by CP.

https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk135172

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats right, just look at the section for migrate server commands (export and import)

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

If you follow below link, you technically may not even have to do anything with SIC.

Andy

What is the version you plan to have on mgmt/gateways? I would strongly recommend R81.10 (plus whatever recommended jumbo is), though personally, I LOVE R81.20 management, so would go with that if you can, but would hold off having that version on firewalls, until its recommended officially by CP.

https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk135172

0 Kudos
Fabz
Contributor

thankyou!

my customer agreed with R81.10 until R81.20 officialy as stable version by CP.

however from the SK you share, im still missed some point. so after i install Upgrade Tools, then i should run "migrate_server" right? then backup and restore the DB to new management? thanks!

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats right, just look at the section for migrate server commands (export and import)

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

To confirm what you said, yes, thats accurate. I would take backup/snapshot (if possible), before doing any of this. Better be safe than sorry later.

Andy

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

@Fabz 

Just to make sure. Both R81.10 and R81.20 are stable versions.

R81.10 is the Recommended Version. For the details and terminology, please looks here: https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk95746

0 Kudos
Salom_Idhogela
Collaborator

R81.20 is very unstable, I had to downgrade back to R81.10 which is very stable.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

I am sorry to hear that. Can you please PM me with your TAC cases to prove the point?

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

After reviewing your posts and comments in the community, it seems you experienced issues when upgrading a cluster. While I would be very happy to look into the support details for your case, please note, this specific discussion is about management.

Also, a single case of an unsuccessful GW upgrade does not qualify as "the version is very unstable", even if your own experience with it was not ideal.

We closely monitor statistics for each release, and I have enough data to insist on what I said, both releases are stable, especially when it comes to the management server, which is the focus point in this discussion.

I will be happy to reach out and discuss the issues you may experience with R81.20, if you need, though.

We value your feedback, and we always working on improving the products.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

As @the_rock already mentioned, you just need to perform a procedure called "advanced upgrade" from the R81.10 upgrade guide. SIC should remain, and if you keep the same MGMT IP on your Smart-1, it should be transparent for the GWs.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events