Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority
Jump to solution

SmartConsole R81.10 log export?

I upgraded some of my management servers to R81.10 a month or so ago. Today, I needed to export a set of drop logs to correlate them with a set of packet captures across a traffic path. SmartConsole tells me "To export logs to Excel, please use SmartView Web Application.", and that's it.

How do I export logs in SmartConsole?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

The "exporting to csv" functionality via SmartView is more robust and with less limitations than the one we had in SmartConsole. Therefore, we decided to focus on that and point users there.

It should be pretty simple to launch SmartView, and users that already have SmartConsole access, should have https access to the management machine. If you go to the "LOGS & MONITOR" page (left navigation), and open a new tab using the "+" button, you can see a link to SmartView at the bottom left. Just click it and it will take you to the SmartView logs view.

There is another "hidden" option, if you really want to open it through SmartConsole. If you activate "High Contrast" mode under "MANAGE & SETTINGS" => "Preferences" => "Accessibility", that will cause SmartConsole to load an embedded SmartView logs page within SmartConsole. You need to relaunch SmartConsole for it to take effect.

For a one-off need, that will work, but I warn you that it makes all the colors look wacky 😉

View solution in original post

4 Replies
garrod
Contributor

Hi Bob,

Export directly from SmartConsole is not available yet, probably there will add it in future upgrade, 

As per message "To export logs to Excel, please use SmartView Web Application.", you have to navigate to SmartView Web Application to export into a CSV, just open the browser and type to "https://<Management IP Address/smartview".

Or you just use the traditional way , using SmartView Tracker to export will do

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

My managements don’t have any web UI enabled. Even if they did, none of my administrative systems have access to the ports involved, because we’ve never had the web UI enabled.

SmartView Tracker might be an option, but a pretty slow one given the number of log files I’ll have to deal with.

This is a major regression.

0 Kudos
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

The "exporting to csv" functionality via SmartView is more robust and with less limitations than the one we had in SmartConsole. Therefore, we decided to focus on that and point users there.

It should be pretty simple to launch SmartView, and users that already have SmartConsole access, should have https access to the management machine. If you go to the "LOGS & MONITOR" page (left navigation), and open a new tab using the "+" button, you can see a link to SmartView at the bottom left. Just click it and it will take you to the SmartView logs view.

There is another "hidden" option, if you really want to open it through SmartConsole. If you activate "High Contrast" mode under "MANAGE & SETTINGS" => "Preferences" => "Accessibility", that will cause SmartConsole to load an embedded SmartView logs page within SmartConsole. You need to relaunch SmartConsole for it to take effect.

For a one-off need, that will work, but I warn you that it makes all the colors look wacky 😉

Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

Was it announced anywhere that this functionality was removed?

As I said above, we don't have the web UI enabled on any of our management servers, and our administrative boxes only have access to SmartConsole and SSH. I was able to work around it by enabling the web UI, enabling port forwarding in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and using a tunneled session, but we have no desire to use a web UI.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events