Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob_Ert
Explorer
Jump to solution

How to check who moved a rule in policies

Hi,

I have SmartConsole R81.10 and I would need to check in the logs who moved one rule, I have its UID.

Specifically, the rule was number 200 but someone will move it and it is now number 150.45, and because it was a bad inline rule could not execute and the move was droped by cleanup. Since the rule has no name (some oversight) I can only use the rule UID.

Ask for a hint on how to find out who moved it and when.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Quickest way is to go to the Logs & Monitor tab, open a new tab, and select Audit Log.  You can search the list of changes the same way you can a traffic log.  For other techniques to figure out what changes were made and by whom see here: R80+ Change Control: A Visual Guide

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Quickest way is to go to the Logs & Monitor tab, open a new tab, and select Audit Log.  You can search the list of changes the same way you can a traffic log.  For other techniques to figure out what changes were made and by whom see here: R80+ Change Control: A Visual Guide

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Rob_Ert
Explorer

I tried "Change Report" but according to SK166435 (https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...) "Moving a rule in the policy will not appear in the report"

I tried to look for it in Audit logs but there are a lot of changes and I would need to filter it to have results only for a specific rule UID, is there such a filter? or where can i find information about all available filters?

0 Kudos
Rob_Ert
Explorer

ok, looks like some sms error. I created a test rule, copied the UID and pasted it in Audit Logs in the serch field. It found all the changes I made.

I don't know why but for the rule I'm looking for (using its UID) the last changes it finds are those from 2 years ago. But according to Installation History, the rule was moved 14 days ago.

Does anyone have any idea why I can't see this change?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Can you send a screenshot how you did a filter search?

0 Kudos
Rob_Ert
Explorer

Attached is the test rule and the correct one which changes I am looking for

I just pasted the rule UID and it searches for the right entries

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Its important to follow below to make sure UUID is 100% right

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/latest/APIs/#cli/show-access-rule~v1.9%20

I took some screenshots from my lab.

Andy

0 Kudos
Rob_Ert
Explorer

Using Audit Log is not a solution to my problem. I currently have an open ticket at checkpoint, after the remote session they also found that there was an error. They are currently trying to replicate the misbehavior in their lab. For some reason, only the changes made by one user 12 days ago are not shown in the adit log (at least that's the only one I know of, because there may be more).

I was hoping someone here had had a similar problem and found a solution.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

You can review /var/log/audit files and see if there is anything of interest there.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events