cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable
Jump to solution

Hardware requirement for R80

Hi Experts,

Am planning to migrate my R77.20 GAIA Management server running on Smart 1-25 to R80 Management server.

Is there any hardware compatible list for the same. Or could you confirm me if i can do that in my existing setup.

V

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Edit 6/15/2016: Formal hardware requirements are now defined here in the "Open Server Hardware Recommendation" section: TAGS ARE REQUIRED --> Check Point Software Technologies: Download Center

Minimum Requirements for the R80 Mgmt EA are stated right on the EA page:

Security Management Server Hardware Requirements

Component

Minimum Requirement

CPU

2 cores

Memory

4 GB

Disk Space (for installation)

40 GB

While the memory requirements for R80 Mgmt have definitely increased, the very very good news is that policy operations are finally multi-threaded as opposed to all bottlenecking in the fwm process which was more or less single-threaded.  Adding more cores to your SMS will finally make a difference in R80.  🙂

--

My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"

now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Sanjay_Bhandari
Explorer

You will need way more horsepower. By default the API engine will not start on a Smart 1-25. IF you plan to run the smart event as well you will need many cores of CPU and at least 32 Gb memory

0 Kudos
RickLin
Advisor
Advisor

Recommended Hardware in Production customer environment

Process:Minimun 8 Core

Memory:32Gb or more

Storage:Minimum 146GB Hard Drivers(SAS 15000 rpm) in RAID 10 configuration.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

That rules out all Check Point Smart-1 appliances since they all use 7200 rpm SATA drives.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Yeah - been waiting for R80 for ages then when it is (almost) released it turns out to be useless on existing hardware, which rules it out for me for a few years until it's time for a refresh of our Smart-1 50s.  Very disappointed.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

We have a new Smart-1 3050 and while that is a big CPU & RAM upgrade over the Smart-1 50 it replaced, it still uses SATA drives. They’re 2TB each now, but still SATA.

0 Kudos
Jeff_Engel
Employee
Employee

Hi Matthew,

I'm going to go out on a small limb here, but R80 should run just fine on a Smart-1 50.

0 Kudos
Jeff_Engel
Employee
Employee

Hi Aaron,

Those drives will be more than fine.

0 Kudos
Arik_Goldstein
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hi,

The equivalent to Smart1-25 is Smart1-225.

More information about this appliance is available in the specification section of the Smart-1 Appliances web page

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Edit 6/15/2016: Formal hardware requirements are now defined here in the "Open Server Hardware Recommendation" section: TAGS ARE REQUIRED --> Check Point Software Technologies: Download Center

Minimum Requirements for the R80 Mgmt EA are stated right on the EA page:

Security Management Server Hardware Requirements

Component

Minimum Requirement

CPU

2 cores

Memory

4 GB

Disk Space (for installation)

40 GB

While the memory requirements for R80 Mgmt have definitely increased, the very very good news is that policy operations are finally multi-threaded as opposed to all bottlenecking in the fwm process which was more or less single-threaded.  Adding more cores to your SMS will finally make a difference in R80.  🙂

--

Nader_Assi
Explorer

Hi,

I didn't find the hardware requirements in the Release Note for R80. But I guess the ones applied to EA are still valid in GA as I got the following error when I finished the First Time wizard (on a VM with 1 core and 2GB of RAM):

Configuration failed with error:

Cannot install Check Point Security Management Server. Incompatible hardware: at least 2 CPUs required. Add more cores,

reinstall the OS and run the First-Time-Wizard again.

0 Kudos
Duyen_Ngo_Van
Participant

Could  Checkpoint IP390 Appliance   upgrade to R80 ?

0 Kudos
Jim_Holmes
Employee
Employee

It is not a supported platform and I don't think it would even install

Aka, Chillyjim
0 Kudos
Hsu_Teddy
Participant

My customer had smart-1 150 with 32GB memory upgraded.

Is compatible for R80?

0 Kudos
Jim_Holmes
Employee
Employee

Yes it is. I run on an old S1-25. Not fast but works for the lab.

Aka, Chillyjim
0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Just to clarify there are two variants of the Smart-1 25 model:

• The original Smart-1 25 has 2 cores and 3GB of RAM, which does not meet the minimum hardware requirements for R80.
  • The revised Smart 1 25b has 2 cores and 4GB of RAM, which meets the minimum hardware requirements for R80.

I seem to recall that a memory upgrade was available for some Smart-1 units at one point, not sure if that is still the case.

--

now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Edit 11/27/2016: The link below has been updated and the following Smart-1 appliances are not listed as supporting R80:

Smart-1 5

Smart-1 25 (I assume this includes the Smart-1 25b as well)

Smart-1 50

Smart-1 150

Normally you would go here to check which software releases are supported on which appliances:

Support Life Cycle Policy | Check Point Software

but it doesn't look like this list has been updated for R80 yet.  I'd guess a Smart-1 150 would be compatible with R80 and a Nokia IP390 will not since the IP390 is limited to a maximum of 2GB RAM I believe.  But bear in mind an IP390 is not typically a Security Management Station, it is usually a gateway and the hardware requirements for R80.10 gateway have not been published yet.

--

0 Kudos
Raj_Khatri
Advisor

We recently went from R77.30 to R80 for our MDS which is running on a Smart-1 50.  Performance was good while on R77.30 but after R80, it is very slow and requires more horsepower.  32GB isn't enough and maxed and swapping...

Looking at OpenServer options...

The same goes for our MLM and SmartEvent servers.  They are in need of CPU/Memory upgrades due to all the SmartLog indexing.  Logs are not realtime since MLM is pegged and swapping as well.

0 Kudos
Raj_Khatri
Advisor

We upgraded our OpenServer MLM from 1 CPU / 32GB to 2 CPU / 128GB and performance is great.

We upgraded our OpenServer SME from 64GB to 96GB and performance is improved as well.

0 Kudos
Chris_Butler
Collaborator

If anyone found your way here and has a Smart-1 205 or even 210 Please see this related question

Smart-1 205: R77.30 to R80 real world experiences?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events