cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RamGuy239
Advisor
Advisor
Jump to solution

Gaia backup (clish > add backup local) does not backup commonly modified .def files?

Greetings,

I just noticed how doing a clish > add backup local does not contain commonly modified .def files. Is this intended behaviour? It strikes me as odd to have a backup not grabbing commonly modified files on a management server such as crypt.def and implied_rules.def?

I unpacked an R81.10 management backup and attempted to locate the crypt.def and implied_rules.def, but they are nowhere to be found within the backup.

If I understand this correctly, if you are basing your backup routine on scheduled backups in Gaia, you will end up with default .def files. All manual changes are lost? Or might there be something I'm missing here?

Certifications: CCSA, CCSE, CCSM, CCSM ELITE, CCTA, CCTE, CCVS, CCME
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RamGuy239
Advisor
Advisor

It seems to be a Windows problem or, rather, a WinRAR problem. Unpacking using 7-zip or unpacking in Linux using TAR gives me all the *.lib files in the expected directory.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I will try it in my lab, but last time I generated web UI backup, when restore was done, all files that were modified prior, were exactly the same, nothing changed.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

K, just tested in R81.20 jumbo 26, works fine, nothing modified.

Andy

0 Kudos
RamGuy239
Advisor
Advisor

When you say nothing modified, do you mean you have modified lets say crypt.def beforehand, and after the restore, it's not modified. Or do you mean the changes are still there after the restore?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Right, whatever changes were made BEFORE restore are still there AFTER the restore.

Andy

0 Kudos
RamGuy239
Advisor
Advisor

Are you able to locate the files within the .tgz package? Perhaps this is a matter of the *.lib files being a part of the database or something? Making them not viewable without doing a full restore of the package? That is great news. It makes it more tedious to grab the files for review to replicate simply, but much better compared to the files being lost.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Yes, I was able to.

Andy

0 Kudos
RamGuy239
Advisor
Advisor

Where exactly in the files were you able to locate the modified *.lib files? I have just unpacked the *.tgz from a R81.10 management installation and I can't for the life of me locate any crypt.def, implied_rules.def etc.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Exact same dir as if you are on ssh, you type cd $FWDIR/lib and then pwd

Andy

0 Kudos
RamGuy239
Advisor
Advisor

This is very strange. Here is the output I have after unpacking the .tgz file and moving to $FWDIR/lib (aka /opt/CPsuite-R81.10/dw1/lib):

Directory: \backup_--_FWMgmt.local_15_Aug_2023_13_03_26\opt\CPsuite-R81.10\fw1\lib

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
-a--- 30.06.2021 20:58 669 default.pf

The only file I have in that directory is default.pf.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Not sure what to say, sorry. Maybe double check with TAC.

Andy

0 Kudos
RamGuy239
Advisor
Advisor

It seems to be a Windows problem or, rather, a WinRAR problem. Unpacking using 7-zip or unpacking in Linux using TAR gives me all the *.lib files in the expected directory.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Interesting...I was using 7-zip, but did not think it matters, but guess it does : )

Good job!

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events