Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Durin
Contributor
Jump to solution

VSX Resource allocation

Hi

I have been trying to find info about VS resource allocation in a VSX VSLS cluster.

To be more specific, has every VS access to same resources (cpu/mem) on the VSX gateway ?

And how much can a VS use, all cores and max memory or is some resources spared for VS0 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
_Val_
Admin
Admin

On a multi-core system, VSX is using CoreXL. Amount of cores per VS is set on per VS object. If total amount of cores for all VSs is higher than the number of FWK cores available on the system than yes, some VSs may share the same CPU core, or even several.  

You can check CPU allocation by running fw ctl affinily -l command.

Amount of FWKs depends on a number of physical cores on the platform, minus amount of SNDs. By default, in a system with 4 cores, just one of them is SND, with 6 to 20 cores - 2, with more than 20 cores, 4 of them are assigned to SND roles.

Now, for the memory. VSX is running in a User Space mode, meaning VSs are using the regular RAM and not kernel memory space. There is usually lots of memory available there. Memory usage depends on the size of the VS, or, in other words, on a maximum amount of connections VS is defined to handle. Also controllable from SmartConsole.

There is no reservation of resources, all VSs are equal, including VS0.

Now, why do you ask? Are you facing an actual issue?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

On a multi-core system, VSX is using CoreXL. Amount of cores per VS is set on per VS object. If total amount of cores for all VSs is higher than the number of FWK cores available on the system than yes, some VSs may share the same CPU core, or even several.  

You can check CPU allocation by running fw ctl affinily -l command.

Amount of FWKs depends on a number of physical cores on the platform, minus amount of SNDs. By default, in a system with 4 cores, just one of them is SND, with 6 to 20 cores - 2, with more than 20 cores, 4 of them are assigned to SND roles.

Now, for the memory. VSX is running in a User Space mode, meaning VSs are using the regular RAM and not kernel memory space. There is usually lots of memory available there. Memory usage depends on the size of the VS, or, in other words, on a maximum amount of connections VS is defined to handle. Also controllable from SmartConsole.

There is no reservation of resources, all VSs are equal, including VS0.

Now, why do you ask? Are you facing an actual issue?

0 Kudos
Durin
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

So for each VS the resource is controlled by using corexl (in that perticular VS context?)

The reason i am asking is because one VS is running IPS, and now it seems it has used more cpu than it had available so it was bypassed.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Correct. I suspect that VS is running just a single core. Add more 🙂

Magnus-Holmberg
Advisor

add more "vs instances" aka cores 😄 , when it comes to vsx you also need to keep track of the connections 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/c/MagnusHolmberg-NetSec
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Don - is there a way to monitor the memory utilisation on a per VS basis using SNMP v3? 

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Thanks Don,

Unable to access:
https://dl3.checkpoint.com/paid/3a/3a7f7303d86eaabace8923ad195f017f/chkpnt.mib?HashKey=1638127098_c9...

I'll take a look at the other links, been many years since you where my SE 😉

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Me neither, and I have all the rights 🙂

Something is wrong with the link.

0 Kudos
Don_Paterson
Advisor

Cool.

It is the R81 Product MIB (.mib) file from SK90470

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

Sorry, I assumed the link would work.

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?action=portlets.DCFileAction&eventSubmit_d... 

Probably should've posted that link (the download link)

ProductMIBsSK90470.png

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Thanks Don.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events