Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nik_Bloemers
Advisor
Advisor

VPN gateway random UDP traffic to CP peers?

Hi CheckMates,

I'm seeing some strange traffic I cannot explain and I was wondering if anyone knew what is causing this. Our central VPN gateway seems to be connecting to all our remote VPN site's CP gateways with seemingly random high UDP ports. The VPNs are working fine otherwise, but I have no idea which process is causing this. Anyone got any idea why this is happening and how I can stop it?

So in the screenshot below the source is the public IP of the active member of our central VPN cluster, the destinations are various public IP's of the Check Points at our remote sites that are in a star community with the central gateway.

VPN.jpg

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Lesley
Advisor

Are the drops out of state or cleanup drops? 

Looks like the UDP source port to me that is dropped

Capture will tell you.

I suspect the firewall itself is not starting an UDP connection like this but it is the source port from ESP traffic (500,4500)

-------
If you like this post please give a thumbs up(kudo)! 🙂
0 Kudos
Nik_Bloemers
Advisor
Advisor

They are cleanup drops. The peers are not behind NAT-T. And then the destination port should be 500/4500, not some random UDP high port. It's the destination port in the log, not the source port.

0 Kudos
emmap
Employee
Employee

What is the source port, anything consistent?

0 Kudos
Nik_Bloemers
Advisor
Advisor

I've checked the source port, which strangely does seem to be tunnel_test (UDP 18234). So that's even stranger, since I also see seperate succesful encrypt logs for them. It's like it's sending the tunnel tests twice?

0 Kudos
Lesley
Advisor

maybe this SK will send you in the right direction

https://support.checkpoint.com/results/sk/sk163835

-------
0 Kudos
Nik_Bloemers
Advisor
Advisor

I've tried making a No NAT for the tunnel_test traffic, but it's still getting NATted behind the cluster IP (which is fine) and random UDP high ports (which is not, it should stay the standard tunnel_test port) based on an implied rule it seems from the logs.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

UDP 18234 is a tunnel test feature. 

The behavior you described could be related to Check Point's VPN tunnel testing feature. 

The VPN tunnel testing protocol is designed to ensure that the VPN tunnels are functioning properly and can handle traffic. It periodically sends test packets between the gateways to verify the connectivity and integrity of the VPN tunnels.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Also, 

To stop this behavior, you can disable the VPN tunnel testing feature. Here are the steps to disable VPN tunnel testing in Check Point:

1. Log in to the SmartConsole (Check Point management interface).

2. Go to the "Network Management" tab.

3. Select "VPN" from the left-hand menu.

4. In the VPN section, click on "VPN Tunnel Sharing".

5. In the "VPN Tunnel Sharing" window, select the relevant VPN community.

6. Click on the "Advanced" button.

7. In the "Advanced VPN Tunnel Sharing" window, uncheck the option for "Enable VPN tunnel testing".

8. Click "OK" to save the changes.

0 Kudos
Nik_Bloemers
Advisor
Advisor

Not quite sure where you want me to go. The only tab called 'Network Management' that I know of is on gateway objects.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

0 Kudos
Nik_Bloemers
Advisor
Advisor

Thanks, but that doesn't describe anything about disabling tunnel testing.

Also, I don't want to disable tunnel_testing, I want the gateway to stop source port NATing it for some strange reason 🙂

The tunnels themselves all work, but the log is getting unnecesarrily spammed with the high UDP port traffic hitting the cleanup rule, while it should be accepted on an implied rule as a control connection.

0 Kudos
spottex
Contributor

I had this but cannot remember the solution.
Is it tunnel testing, permanent tunnels or Dead Peer Detection creating this?
i.e. If on, turn off to test 

0 Kudos
Nik_Bloemers
Advisor
Advisor

Permanent tunnels are enabled, but it's all CP <-> CP, so using tunnel_test. The tunnel_test traffic is getting encrypted and is a completely different port then the ones we're seeing dropped. Tunnel_test is all UDP 18234, hitting the implied rule.

0 Kudos
Lesley
Advisor

please share the source ports.

Also maybe traffic capture and VPN debug will tell you more. I think it is DPD

-------
0 Kudos
spottex
Contributor

I have a rule of thumb, never treat a Check Point issue with logic 😉

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Is this a joke? If not, can you please elaborate?

0 Kudos
spottex
Contributor

What I really meant but generalized as I say that a lot on conference tshoot calls. Especially when other Vendor FW's are involved it is usually CP weird behavior or CP interpretation of RFC's differ a lot from other vendors - exact example not coming to mind but there was a couple with IPsec VPNs we had to adjust behaviors to make compatible.

Also where customers saying "this 'should' be how it is behaving because of how such and such is configured" which I will not accept as an answer until I see the behavior happening/Not happening.

Then if logic does not prevail it is usually a coding issue.
E.g.1 Return decrypted traffic reaching the FW but not re-entering the tunnel and silently dropped - R&D hotfix.
E.g.2 Cert CRL default changed in jumboHF to OCSP. The FW not able to reach OCSP and should revert to CRL URL but does not. VPN cert auth fails. R&D fix for IkeV2 needed.
I have a few more examples from the past few years I could go find from saved notes.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events