cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4mon
Participant

Upgrade from R77.30 to R80.30

Hello,

I have to upgrade SMS an ClusterXL Security Gateways from R77.30 to R80.30. Probably by fresh install.
It's a recommended make an upgrade from R70.30 directly to R80.30?
Or maybe it'll be better firstly upgrade from R70.30 to R80.20 and after that from R80.20 to R80.30?

The procedure is the same like upgrade from R77.30 to R80.10 for example like this:
https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/General-Management-Topics/R77-30-to-R80-10-SMS-Migration/td-p/36...

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

You mention R77.30 and R70.30 in this post, which is it?
You can do a direct upgrade from R77.30 to R80.30, but not from R70.30.

On the management side, it is recommended you do an "advanced upgrade" and perform a fresh install from ISO on the management server with R80.30.
This will allow the system to use the xfs filesystem, which has better performance than ext3.
I would, in any case, test the migrate export/import process in a VM first to make sure everything comes across as you expect.
0 Kudos
4mon
Participant

Thank you for answer.

Of course I mean R77.30 not R70.30 😉 I'm sorry for typo.

0 Kudos
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

Thanks Dameon.

When doing an "advanced upgrade", it's also highly recommended to install the latest jumbo HF after the ISO installation. Make sure to do this before the "import" phase, that way the upgrade itself will run with all the latest fixes and improvements.

R77.30 to R80.30 upgrades are supported and work just the same as when upgrading from R77.30 to R80.20. There is no point in doing the extra stop at R80.20 if your target version is R80.30.

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

I suggest doing migrate import/export from production to R77.30 VM.

In that VM remove all the database revisions and run pre-upgrade verifier.

Deal with the findings in R77.30, things like legacy services, non-unicode characters in the object names, etc..

Then, when the verifier shoes no red flags, perform migrate export using R80.30 migration tools.

Get the export file downloaded.

Shutdown R77.30 VM and setup R80.30 VM with latest JHFA.

Perform migrate import.

Save config  and migrate export again.

Resultant file should be imported in production on freshly installed R80.30 management, either hardware or VM with no issues, so long as you maintain the same name and IP.

For the gateways, save Gaia config, snapshot, backup.

Download the resultant files.

Perform the "Connectivity" upgrade on cluster members.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events