Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EVSolovyev
Collaborator

R80.20 fresh install to Sandbox TE100X appliance - kernel 2.6. Is it normal?

Hi there.

I just install (fresh install) sandbox TE100X appliance using isomorfic tool from:

Support, Support Requests, Training, Documentation, and Knowledge base for Check Point products and ... 

And got 2.6 kernel on it:

As I know, R80.20 has 3.10 kernel by default. My management server with same software has 3.10 kernel:

Why does it happen? And how can I get 3.10 kernel on my sandbox appliance? Does my gateways, that I'll upgrade soon will have 2.6 kernel too?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Yes it is correct.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
EVSolovyev
Collaborator

Hm....

Why does it is correct, if in release notes we can see that:

Or if in RN we see that, it means, that all GWs does not support 3.10 kernel?

For me, this is not clear. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Gateway:

At this time kernel 3.10 is only supported for open server HP DL 360/380 G10.

Management:

Supported for 3.10 kernel.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

EVSolovyev
Collaborator

I have seen that. But there is no info, that other GWs does not support 3.10 kernel.

OK. I understood situation - it was marketing (R80.20 supports new Linux kernel), but the practice is different. Thank you.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

It is not marketing, the message is technically correct. We do support 3.10 kernel for all management systems and for limited population of gateways. The quoted SK lists what and how.

0 Kudos
EVSolovyev
Collaborator

Do you have a documentation link, please?

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Or this with Dorit Dor VP of products for Check Point:

When will R80.30 GA be available? 

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
0 Kudos
Dorit_Dor
Employee
Employee

1. R80.30 is irrelevant to these points but help us find 15 more EA sites and R80.30 will be released (its feature freeze and ready) - can 15 of you volunteer to put R80.30 in production ASAP?

2. R80.30 doesn't change the kernel status. In both R80.20 & R80.30 we have the following kernel status: 

A. Management only package - comes w Kernel 3.10 as the only option 

B. GW & management main package - come by default with older kernel 

C. Special package is available w new kernel for GW & Management - for all open servers and clouds 

3. Why is C still separate?

While the GW part was ready and released few months ago, VSX is only supported recently (the change to supporting VSX with the new kernel is significant, moving to "name spaces" from VRF). so by practice, (c) is released as separate branch. After it gets large exposure, we will integrate it as the default in the version. As you can read in part  #1, R80.30 is "closed" by now.  

4. In the future, after C is part of the main train, we will be able to move kernels much faster (so what you see above is the transition phase) 

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events