Did you mean: 
Moudar
Advisor
Jump to solution

Hping does not log

Hi

I need to simulate traffic from one device 10.2.2.10, when using Hping command:

hping -a 10.2.2.10 -S -I any -p 443 www.facebook.com

no logs show up !! I wonder why no logs show up ?

What I found is that any IP from 10.2.0.0/16 used in Hping does not generate logs!

If I run for example:

hping -a 10.2.12.10 -S -I any -p 443 www.facebook.com

I can see logs that shows dropped traffic because this IP is not allowed by any rule.

The device behind 10.2.2.10 generates logs normally, but when using Hping no logs show up!

running tcpdump at the same time when Hping is running on 10.2.2.10 shows traffic normally, but still no logs!

Any ideas!

The interface (where 10.2.0.0 goes) has anti-spoofing active

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Why are you specifying "-I any"?  That is invalid interface syntax so by default hping will send the traffic to the loopback (lo) interface, which won't work and is why you aren't seeing logs.  Assuming you have a valid route to the target IP address you don't need to specify a specific interface; try this instead taken from my 2024 CPX speech Be your Own TAC: Advanced Gateway Troubleshooting Commands:

hping  -S  --spoof  10.2.2.10  -p  443  www.facebook.com

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Why are you specifying "-I any"?  That is invalid interface syntax so by default hping will send the traffic to the loopback (lo) interface, which won't work and is why you aren't seeing logs.  Assuming you have a valid route to the target IP address you don't need to specify a specific interface; try this instead taken from my 2024 CPX speech Be your Own TAC: Advanced Gateway Troubleshooting Commands:

hping  -S  --spoof  10.2.2.10  -p  443  www.facebook.com

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
the_rock
Legend
Legend

You definitely got the BEST explanation out there from Tim.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events