Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Homekit (Siri) integration with R81 Dynamic Objects

Homekit (Siri) integration with R81

Homebridge allows you to integrate with smart home devices that do not natively support HomeKit. Use your iPhone, iPad, HomePod and Apple Watch to control your Check Point Firewall and setup automations.
You can also control your firewall rules using your voice via Siri. More about Homebridge can be found here:  https://homebridge.io/

Video:

How does it work:

Homebridge provides devices that are not supported by Apple for example a switch to change something ( firewall rules on/off). For Homebrige there is a plugin that allows to run SSH scripts. If you now speak a command via Siri voice control or turn on a switch in Homekit, a script is executed via Hombridge. For this purpose, a dynamic object is created on the gateway via the Homebrige SSH plugin. This dynamic object can be used in the firewall ruleset.

Installation guide:

1) Install Homebridge using for example on a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4. A good tutorial how to install Homebrige can be found here: https://github.com/homebridge/homebridge/wiki/Install-Homebridge-on-Raspbian

# npm install -g --unsafe-perm homebridge homebridge-config-ui-x

2) Install the homebridge-ssh plugin.

# npm install -g homebridge-ssh

3) Configure the SSH Homebrige device to access your firewall gateway. You have to change the account and SSH information in the script to your environment and change the dynamic object to your firewall rules.

Here is an example:

{
    "accessory": "SSH",
    "name": "Firewall",
    "on": "dynamic_objects -o homekit -r 192.168.200.1 192.168.200.254 -a",
    "off": "dynamic_objects -o homekit -r 192.168.200.1 192.168.200.254 -d",
    "ssh": {
        "user": "<firewall gateway user",
        "host": "<firewall gateway ip>",
        "port": 22,
        "password": "<your password>"
    }
}

4) Now restart your Homebridge server.

5) To connect a Homebridge device to Homekit, you need to scan the QR code on your iPhone/iPad in the Home app. The QR code is displayed in the web GUI of Homebrige.

homebrige_1.png

6) Create a firewall ruleset in which the dynamic object (in my example homekit) and then install the policy. Here is an example:
homebrige_2.png

Is done!
Now you can control the dynamic objects (the firewall rules) via your iPhone using Siri or the Home App. Sorry my iPhone is set to German language. Therefore a small translation: Geräte = devices, Aus = off 
homebrige_3.png

PS:

Now I will receive many comments again about the security of SSH scripts settings and about iPhone and Siri security. Therefore immediately a statement in advance. I would not use this in productive environments from a security point of view. I use something like that only because I am a game kid. 🙂

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
(3)
10 Replies
IgorWeller
Participant

Hi @HeikoAnkenbrand,

Interesting idea. This could be used by our reception to turn on and off appropriate networks in the meeting rooms. 

Does this also work with Alexa?

_Val_
Admin
Admin

I believe HomeBridge supports Alexa too.

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi @IgorWeller ,

Is this the wrong forum to discuss homebrige plugins, but the following plugin works:-)

To enable Amazon Alexa to control your homebridge smart home devices and accessories use this Homebridge plugin:
GitHub - NorthernMan54/homebridge-alexa: Expose your homebridge controlled devices to Amazon Alexa.

Full support for all Amazon Alexa devices, including the echo 2nd Generation and software based solutions. Uses an Amazon smart home skill based approach for integration between HomeBridge and Amazon Alexa.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
IgorWeller
Participant

Hi @HeikoAnkenbrand,

I tried it in lab with Alexa.
Worked well.

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

FYI:

Tried it with goggel echo.
It works too.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Very nice 🙂

0 Kudos
rami
Participant

Very interesting solution.

0 Kudos
Rasputin
Participant

Great idea!

We have implemented this with Homekit - with PIN input - in our meeting room.

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi @Rasputin,

What to configure in Homebridge so that there is a PIN input?

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
0 Kudos
stich86
Employee
Employee

don't think it's possible..

also other plugin for Homebridge like alarm system, need to hard-code the PIN into the json configuration.

May be @Rasputin refer to a PIN to unlock iPad itself?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events