Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rohit_Gandas
Participant
Jump to solution

Gateway unable to ping directly connected R1 & R2 in Vmware lab setup

Hello Everyone.

Thanks to all reading my query and taking out your precious time to comment.

So, I have the below setup and trying to setup a home lab using Vmware Workstation. 

Lab_TopologyLab_Topology

What do I have?

1) Windows 10  Home basic - Host OS

2) 16 GB total RAM, assigned 6 GB to Gaia R80.20

3) Tried the same setup on Vmware Workstation 14 & 15.5 version..

4) Two routers R1 & R2 with vyatta image.

After doing installation, defining routers gateway & fw interface etc. I'm unable to ping R1 & R2 from the Firewall.

I've spent more than 6 hours on this. 

I faced the same issue a week back , then I uninstalled vmware workstation 15 and installed 14 version, made some registry tweeks to make it compatible with windows 10. Then I just change the CD/IDE settings to Aconnection preference to "use physical device". And it worked all good. 

This morning I again faced this issue. FW_ping checkFW_ping checkdriving me nuts. I'm several times tried to do delete all vmnets, created new, installed gaia also a couple of times.

Don't know what is going wrong.

Last year, I created the same lab on my Windows 7 PC and never faced such silly issues.

Please have a look and let me know what you guys think the issue would be.

FW_interfacesFW_interfacesFW_route tableFW_route tableFW_vmware.JPGR1 propertiesR1 propertiesR2 propertiesR2 propertiesVMnet configurationVMnet configurationR1_vyatta interfacesR1_vyatta interfacesR2_vyatta interfacesR2_vyatta interfaces

It has also happened that at one instance FW was able to ping R2 and not R1 but after I changed the vmnet settings, then again back to ground zero.

PS : Gateway on R1 is eth1 i.e. 136.1.121.12

Gateway on R2 is eth2 i.e. 136.1.122.12

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rohit_Gandas
Participant
Thank you for your suggestion. I just interchanged eth2 & eth3. By placing R2 behind eth3 instead of eth2, I was able to ping it from gateway.
I still didn't get the logic behind but atleast the lab is functioning at the moment.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mdjmcnally
Advisor

Cannot see what doing wrong personally.

From your description then sounds like you get it working, change vmnet settings and stops.

Going to be something in your vmware that is causing to mess up but tbh always use ESXi rather then workstation and never had issues.   It's free if for a single host and don't expect to phone vmware.

Rohit_Gandas
Participant
Yeah, even now after rechecking everything again. I'm able to ping R1 but not R2. I just tried to install R76 but unable to do the first time configuration. Getting error on browser : ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH.
I'll try it out with ESXi.
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
R76 has been End of Support for a while and doesn't support modern TLS ciphers.
Recommend using R80.30, which is the current release.
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
Instead of VMnets try to build a VLAN instead and use an Intel network adapter in the FW VM config.
Also with the current, check to see if you get ARP resolved for the 136.1 IP's of the R1 and R2.
show arp dynamic all
Regards, Maarten
Rohit_Gandas
Participant
Thank you for your suggestion. I just interchanged eth2 & eth3. By placing R2 behind eth3 instead of eth2, I was able to ping it from gateway.
I still didn't get the logic behind but atleast the lab is functioning at the moment.
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events