Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex_Shpilman
Collaborator
Jump to solution

Domain-Based VPN with Dynamic Routing

Hi,

I'm trying to investigate if it's possible to stop the VPN routes propagation with Domain-Based VPN  in a order to control the routing with BGP.

Migrating to Route-Based is an option but has it's limitations when running a mixture of Route-Based VPN with Domain-Based VPN (as per sk109340).

Is this a valid solution to disable "reroute_encrypted_packets" on the relevant gateways using GuiDBedit?

Any other ideas how it can be achieved?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

It's not an issue of the routes propagating to BGP, it's an issue of the gateway preferring VPN routes, which are basically happening in the kernel.

Got it Smiley Happy

Having read the SK you referenced, I would come to the same conclusion: change the reroute_encrypted_packets setting.

I also see you have a TAC case and that we're checking on this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Are you saying the routes from the VPN propagate to BGP or vice versa?

Perhaps you can filter with routemaps: How to configure Routemaps in Gaia Clish 

0 Kudos
Alex_Shpilman
Collaborator

If I use BGP on top of a  domain-based VPN, the gateway always prefers the VPN routes. I am trying to find a way to stop the VPN routes to be propagated automatically so Gaia routing can be used instead.

Due to the amount of existing VPN communities this is a bit painful to transition to route-based VPN.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

It's not an issue of the routes propagating to BGP, it's an issue of the gateway preferring VPN routes, which are basically happening in the kernel.

Got it Smiley Happy

Having read the SK you referenced, I would come to the same conclusion: change the reroute_encrypted_packets setting.

I also see you have a TAC case and that we're checking on this.

0 Kudos
Alex_Shpilman
Collaborator

Thanks Dameon Welch-Abernathy‌, I just needed an assurance that this is a valid solution and will be supported by the TAC in case of any issues.

I didn't raise a TAC case (yet) but ran it passed our local SE, so perhaps he opened one on my behalf.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Misspoke on the TAC case, but your SE is definitely asking around Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Alex_Shpilman
Collaborator

Just an update, I tested this scenario in the lab and disabling reroute_encrypted_packets works like a charm. The kernel VPN routes are still there but not being used to forward traffic, OS routing is being used instead.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Glad it works.

I'm curious what your exact use case is here (i.e. why you want to override the VPN routes with BGP).

0 Kudos
Alex_Shpilman
Collaborator

Our customer got 2 sites with on-premise clusters running VPNs to bunch of CloudGaurd clusters hosted on Azure/AWS.

My predecessor chose to configure MEP for fail-over between the on-premise clusters.

However, in a fail-over scenario all the users are still routed (static routing being to date) through the primary site and causing asymmetric routing.

My goal is run dynamic routing to fail-over automatically the public clouds connectivity.

The issue currently is the domain-based VPN which always prefers VPN kernel routes and the idea is to control how traffic is routed to the public cloud using BGP (CORE switches <--BGP--> On-Premise clusters <--BGP--> Public Cloud Clusters).

Route-based VPN will resolve it as well but will introduce another challenges like narrowing down the encryption domains while we have another Domain-Based VPNs with 3rd parties.

I guess we'll have some healthy debates after xmas whether to go ahead with disabling reroute_encrypted_packets or converting everything to Route-based VPN.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Rick_Ther
Explorer

I have just stumbled across this post, and am curious to know the final outcome as i´m in a similar situation. Was disabling reroute_encrypted_packets a valid option? Or did you choose to migrate to route-based vpn?

0 Kudos
Alex_Shpilman
Collaborator

Sorry about the late response, just saw it now.

After many delays we're migrating to route-based VPN very soon.

I did some further testing and couldn't achieve the desired outcome with domain-based VPN, with route-based VPN it's a very painful migration but we'll get there.

0 Kudos
Rick_Ther
Explorer

Np. Ok, thx for the feedback.

Once you are done, I would appreciate the opportunity to hear how your migration to route based VPN went (pitfalls, unexpected limitations, etc.) . Personally, when I compare route based VPN to domain based VPN, I do not see any (technical) pro points for domain based VPN. Domain based VPNs are way to inflexible.

When all the limitations for route based VPNs are lifted in R80.xx I am curious to know how many migrations to route based VPN will takes place

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events