cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_Jensen
Advisor
Jump to solution

Custom Intelligence Feed Exceptions Not Working

I am running R81.10 with GA JHA take 130 installed on my gateways and SMS.

I have a External Custom Intelligence Feed named Talos_blacklist configured on my gateway cluster via the CLI.

I have a IP that is on that blacklist that gets by design of the feature.

However I need to make an exception for this IP address and everything I have tried in SmartConsole does not work, traffic to the IP in question is still dropped due to my Talos_blacklist.

In the example with my screen shots the source is 10.1.1.10 > 185.242.113.224 (black listed IP).  From the log card I have selected add an exception, select the defaults, the exception is created (see screen shot), I install threat prevention policy and traffic is still blocked from my source to the destination due to the Talos_blacklist.

I have also tried creating my own threat prevention rule and assigning the source and/or destination to a dummy no threat prevention policy that doesn't have any TP enabled and that does not work as well.

Is it possible to make exceptions for IP's on External Custom Intelligence Feed's and if so how can I create one that will work?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TPExpert
Employee
Employee

Hey,

We just released this functionality in R81.20 JHF Take 43.

If you need this on top of R81/R81.10 JHF, you will be able to use this feature in the upcoming jumbo release.

Unfortunately the IP exclusion feature is not supported via the SmartConsole for now.

In order to add IP exclusions, please locate a file containing a list of IP addresses with an end-of-line delimiter at $FWDIR/conf/ip_whitelist.eng.

IP addresses in the ip_whitelist.eng file will be exempt from enforcement actions, regardless of their presence in any of the threat intelligence feeds.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
35 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I think protected scope should be any and source should be 10.x.x.x

Andy

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

The exception doesn't work that way either.  It's almost as if exceptions through SmartConsole aren't support with Custom Intelligence Feed's but I can't find any documentation stating that or showing a different way to do an them.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I see what you mean. Any difference if you leave protection/site as n/a?

Andy

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

Good idea.  I tried with the protection / site set to N/A.  When I test traffic again no logs are generated but running zdebug I see the following:

[Expert@SG-1:0]# fw ctl zdebug + drop | grep 185.242.113.224
@;4184305;[kern];[tid_0];[SIM-241965305];pkt_handle_stateless_checks: dropping d ue to dos_pkt_should_drop(), conn: <10.1.1.10,1,185.242.113.224,0,1>;
@;4184305;[kern];[tid_0];[SIM-241965305];do_packet_finish: SIMPKT_IN_DROP vsid=0 , conn:<10.1.1.10,1,185.242.113.224,0,1>;
@;4185381;[kern];[tid_0];[SIM-241965305];pkt_handle_stateless_checks: dropping due to dos_pkt_should_drop(), conn: <10.1.1.10,1,185.242.113.224,0,1>;
@;4185381;[kern];[tid_0];[SIM-241965305];do_packet_finish: SIMPKT_IN_DROP vsid=0, conn:<10.1.1.10,1,185.242.113.224,0,1>;
@;4186459;[kern];[tid_0];[SIM-241965305];pkt_handle_stateless_checks: dropping due to dos_pkt_should_drop(), conn: <10.1.1.10,1,185.242.113.224,0,1>;
@;4186459;[kern];[tid_0];[SIM-241965305];do_packet_finish: SIMPKT_IN_DROP vsid=0, conn:<10.1.1.10,1,185.242.113.224,0,1>;
@;4187515;[kern];[tid_0];[SIM-241965305];pkt_handle_stateless_checks: dropping due to dos_pkt_should_drop(), conn: <10.1.1.10,1,185.242.113.224,0,1>;
@;4187515;[kern];[tid_0];[SIM-241965305];do_packet_finish: SIMPKT_IN_DROP vsid=0, conn:<10.1.1.10,1,185.242.113.224,0,1>;

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Seems to me that pings are dropped based on that...

Andy

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

If I delete the exception the pings are then dropped by the blacklist again.  If I turn of the custom intelligence feed the pings work as expected. 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Not sure, sorry...maybe worth TAC case to verify. Please share the solution once its fixed.

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

Will do.  In the meantime if someone from Check Point can chime in and let me know if this is even supported or not I would really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Im curious too, for sure. In the meantime, I will keep digging to see if there is a way...

Andy

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

The zdebug shows that the drop is occurring in the sim/SecureXL module even though Threat Prevention is responsible, which is normally enforced by a Firewall Worker Instance in the Medium Path at least.  This is a little-known optimization to drop traffic solely by IP address at a very early stage of processing inside sim, even though Threat Prevention is normally enforced after Access Control.  Custom Observables can be complex and based on many things other than header values such as IP addresses and ports (which is all SecureXL really looks at for the most part), and my guess is that the exception is not being applied correctly down into this sim optimization.  If you selectively disable SecureXL for either IP address (sk104468: How to exclude traffic from SecureXL) does the exception start working?  My guess is it might.

See here for more detail about this optimization:  Are IoC feeds processed before Access Control policy?

Also hopefully goes without saying, but once you try selectively disabling SecureXL make sure to start a new ping (or whatever test traffic) after waiting at least 30 seconds with no test traffic at all.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the great info!

I tried with selectively disabling SecureXL for the destination IP and had the same results, assuming I edited the table.def file correct:

[Expert@SMS-1:0]# vi $FWDIR/lib/table.def

f2f_addresses={<185.242.113.224>};

If I use the exception the way SmartConsole creates it from the log card option with the source being the protected scope traffic to the destination continues to be dropped by the threat prevention blacklist.

If I change the exception that SmartConsole created in anyway such as moving the host object in the protected scope to the source or adding the destination IP to the destination field I then see the drops in zdebug.

In my lab environment I turned off SecureXL on the gateway with fwaccel off just incase my addition to the table.def file wasn't correct and had the same results.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Thinking about it more, disabling SecureXL won't matter as the optimal drop occurs long before it even figures out what path the connection should be handled in.  It still sounds like the exception you created is not being integrated into the optimal drop calculation inside sim, but this may be the case on a Firewall Worker Core as well if exceptions cannot be applied against custom indicators at all as you suspected initially.  Let me tag @Peter_Elmer and hopefully have him weigh in.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Tobias_Moritz
Advisor

Very fresh from R81.20 JHF T43 from today:

PRJ-43434,
PRHF-26673

Threat Prevention

UPDATE: It is now possible to add exceptions to external Custom Intelligence feeds.

Would be nice to know, how to do it. Just an exception for the relevant TP policy rule, like you tried?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Im installing it in my lab atm, lets see : - )

Andy

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

I wonder if this will be added to 81.10....

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I just innstalled jumbo 43 in the lab, pushed policy, literally no new options for TP exceptions for IOC, at least that I can see.

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Try creating a regular Threat Prevention exception in the policy.

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

Hi PhoneBoy, I have tried and it doesn't work either.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

No dice either...

Andy

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

So even in 81.20 with jha take 43 installed any created exceptions for the ioc feeds simply don't work and the traffic is still prevented?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

correct

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

Very interesting.  Thank you for sharing.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Any time.

Andy

0 Kudos
Peter_Elmer
Employee
Employee

Hello @Timothy_Hall , @Mike_Jensen ,

reading the all updates on 9-Jan here are my thoughts:

• I contacted @TPExpert offline to understand how we can achieve the required documentation of the whitelisting feature introduced in R81.20 JHF T43.
  • The R81.20 is the recommended release for now and backporting the feature to R81.10 would require a formal RFE process. Don't expect this to be in a JHF for R81.10 without contacting your local sales contact and initiating the RFE process. I personally don't see such an RFE being done, as the R81.20 packet processing for IoC feeds has improved in general. I strongly suggest following the recommended release train.
  • I searched for a flow diagram showing that IoC feed content is inserted into SecureXL. I recall such a diagram was in the sk92264 Anti-Virus and Anti-Bot ATRG but I can't find it anymore for now. I know from testing IoC feeds in R81.10 that observables where injected in SecureXL.
  • The zdebug indicate 'dos' ...that made me searching SecureXL Penalty Box sk112454 . I don't have the reverse engineering proof that Penalty Box is 'feeded' by IoC. 

I am sorry, that by the time of this writing above is the best I can share as current business travels are limiting access to test lab.

From a design point of view, the IoC feed should be updated not to require exceptions - in other words: can we improve the source of the IoC? Exceptions are making 'life' complicated and 'complexity' is not a friend of 'security'.

If exceptions are required, the Threat Prevention rule bases is best using src/dest logic - not the the 'protected scope' logic. The src/dst logic makes it easier mapping Access Control rules and help 'reading' the Access Control and Threat Prevention policies.

Please let me know if more help is needed here.

greetings

pelmer 

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

I submitted a RFE for this to be added to 81.10, feedback reference # 33a5qvL18.  It would be nice if Check Point can add this feature to R81.10 considering the OS is still supported until July 31 2025.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Lets hope so.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

If you saw the message from @TPExpert below, we are already planning to add this in the R81.10 JHF.
However, if you're using large IoC feeds, I strongly recommend upgrading your gateways (and management) to R81.20 which supports more than 2 million IoCs per feed and parses the feeds much more efficiently.

0 Kudos
TPExpert
Employee
Employee

Hey,

We just released this functionality in R81.20 JHF Take 43.

If you need this on top of R81/R81.10 JHF, you will be able to use this feature in the upcoming jumbo release.

Unfortunately the IP exclusion feature is not supported via the SmartConsole for now.

In order to add IP exclusions, please locate a file containing a list of IP addresses with an end-of-line delimiter at $FWDIR/conf/ip_whitelist.eng.

IP addresses in the ip_whitelist.eng file will be exempt from enforcement actions, regardless of their presence in any of the threat intelligence feeds.

0 Kudos
Mike_Jensen
Advisor

Hi,

Thank you for the information.

For an exclusion in R81.10 to we change the ip_whitelist.eng file on the security gateway or the SMS?

Can you please provide an example for the syntax to add a IP as a end-of-line delimiter?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events