Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority
Jump to solution

Clish quirk with SNMP config

While trying to make my firewalls' configurations more consistent, I noticed something weird. Here it is reproduced on one of my personal boxes:

[Expert@DallasSA]# clish -c "show configuration" | grep snmp
set snmp agent-version any
set snmp community public read-only 
set snmp agent-version v3-Only

[Expert@DallasSA]# clish
DallasSA> delete snmp community public
NMSSNM0075  SNMP v3-Only does not support community string.
DallasSA> set snmp agent-version any
DallasSA> delete snmp community public
DallasSA> set snmp agent-version v3-only
DallasSA> save config
DallasSA> exit

[Expert@DallasSA]# clish -c "show configuration" | grep snmp
set snmp agent-version v3-Only

[Expert@DallasSA]# fw ver
This is Check Point's software version R81.10 - Build 055

[Expert@DallasSA]# cpinfo -y fw1 | grep Take

This is Check Point CPinfo Build 914000239 for GAIA
	HOTFIX_R81_10_JUMBO_HF_MAIN	Take:  129

It's possible for the clish config to have both "set snmp agent-version any" and "set snmp agent-version v3-Only" in it at the same time. When these lines are both present in the config, you have to enter "set snmp agent-version any" again in order to interact with the v2 community causing the "agent-version any" line to stick around. Once you have deleted it, you can switch to v3-Only and the "agent-version any" line actually goes away.

Seems like at least two minor bugs in clish.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nitzanef
Employee
Employee

This is by design, not a bug.
This behavior is to save the configuration when switching to version any (v1/v2/v3) or when implementing the configuration on different machine (see PMTR-68517)

Nitzan

View solution in original post

5 Replies
nitzanef
Employee
Employee

This is by design, not a bug.
This behavior is to save the configuration when switching to version any (v1/v2/v3) or when implementing the configuration on different machine (see PMTR-68517)

Nitzan

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Btw, customers cant see that PMTR, thats internal to CP employees only, it would seem.

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

Then that is a terrible design on multiple levels.

• "set snmp agent-version any" and "set snmp agent-version v3-Only" should not be able to coexist in the config. If you're going to use the string "v3-Only", then it should mean v3 ONLY. This is clearly a bug in either how clish works or in the naming of the config option.
  • If you're going to allow v2 config to remain when the agent version is set to both any and v3-Only, you should allow it to be removed when the agent version is set to v3-Only. This is clearly a bug in the validation of whether commands affecting v2 can be entered. The user should always be able to remove configuration items without changing unrelated items.
  • If there's v2 configuration, trying to set agent-version to v3-Only should at least generate a warning. I'd argue it should simply reject the input in the same way you can't delete a bond before you remove all of its members (deleting a bond could clearly be interpreted as removing all of its members from it, but clish doesn't work that way).
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Those are definitely valid points @Bob_Zimmerman 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I get same thing on R81.20 jumbo 41

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events