Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vladimir
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Announcement – Check Point Firewall Administration R81.10+ book release

The first edition of my book Check Point Firewall Administration R81.10+ is now available for pre-order on Amazon in digital edition and paperback. For more information lookup ISBN-13: 978-1801072717 or ISBN-10: 180107271X

Huge shout-out to @PhoneBoy, a Technical Reviewer on this project and @Timothy_Hall  for helping me with sanity checks and suggestions.

Limited number of promotional free copies are available, and you can request those by PM or via LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/vladimiry/

Thank you!

(1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Any Intel i7 or higher CPU with 32GB of RAM would suffice. In terms of the BIOS/UEFI settings, virtualization support should be enabled. I personally run the labs on AMD Ryzen 5 PC as well as on two old Dell Precision 5510 laptop models. One with Xeon + 32GB RAM and the other with Core i7 + 32GB RAM.

View solution in original post

(1)
37 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Yep.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Congrats!!

Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Thanks!

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I read lots of books in my life, but I dont think I could ever write one, so kudos to you and @Timothy_Hall for doing so!!

Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Andy,

Can you PM me your name and the e-mail address? Publisher is seeing your review on Amazon.ca and are asking for the source.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Congrats Vladimir, I certainly know how hard it is to write a technical book as well as the excitement that comes from finally releasing it!

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Thank you Tim! Couldn't have done it without having that conversation before I've started and your help throughout the process!

Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Just did a "Look inside" preview of the book at Amazon USA's site and a whopping 654 pages of great content, wow.  My eyeballs and wrists are involuntarily reminiscing with some aches and pains upon seeing that number...😀

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Yeah, you would know exactly how it feels 🙂

It'll take a while to decompress.

Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

@Vladimir  - Huge congratulations on the book release, my hard copy arrived today and look forward to the read!  🙂

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Thank you @Chris_Atkinson ! I hope you'll enjoy it.

I think you are the first to receive the hard copy- I do not have mine yet, still waiting for publisher to deliver:)

CE_SE
Employee Employee
Employee

Hard copy just arrived! First impression is love step by step pictures throughout to provide visual configuration/outputs. Great work!

Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Thank you! I hope that the rest of the content will live up to the expectations!

FYI: There is a companion PDF with all the figures in the book that could be downloaded and used on screen for zoom-in and full color diagrams and screenshots. Highly recommend using it if reading in front of the computer or if you have a tablet to open it on.

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

P.S. FYI: There is a companion PDF with all the figures in the book that could be downloaded and used on screen for zoom-in and full color diagrams and screenshots. Highly recommend using it if reading in front of the computer or if you have a tablet to open it on.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Truly amazing book @Vladimir . I can tell you put LOTS of effort, hard work and hours into it...definitely worth the money.

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Thank you!

When you are done reading it, please post the review on Amazon, preferably with a few words about yourself and your experience with Check Point, and what you have found useful and interesting in the book.

Cheers,

Vladimir

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Feedback given, lets hope they post it soon, as Im prime member, but not sure that matters for reviews : - )

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Thank you!

I'll let you know when it'll become visible.

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Hi @Chris_Atkinson .

Please let me know if you've had a chance to read the book and, if you have, may I ask you to leave a review on Amazon for it?

Thank you,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Welcome to the published author club and well done!

Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Thank you! Still waiting for reviews on Amazon to see if I've hit the mark with my first try at this.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Well, just keep asking people here to give good reviews, I did, hehe ; - ). But in all seriousness, I dont see anyone who goes through the book not giving it highest review.

0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

Any chance to buy a PDF copy? Or other digital platform like kortext etc ?

0 Kudos
Tobias_Moritz
Advisor

I bought it directly from the publisher (Packt). They sold it to me as DRM-free PDF (an additional DRM-free EPUB was also provided after purchase).

https://www.packtpub.com/product/check-point-firewall-administration-r81-10/9781801072717

However, when I revisit their webshop now, they seem to not offer the non-subscription pdf-free buy option anymore 😞

This was the deep-link to add the product to the shopping card:

https://www.packtpub.com/eu/buyitem/index/index/sku/9781801077149

Looks like they removed that purchase option by intend.

@Vladimir : Did you asked your publisher to remove that option?

Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Hi @Tobias_Moritz ,

I did ask Packt to use watermarks on the Companion PDF containing all the diagrams that people with the printed copy can download via URL provided in the book.

I do not have any visibility in what is going on on publisher's side of things and will have to reach out to them for clarification.

The DRM-free PDF is bound to be widely shared on the Internet- I've seen that situation with Tim Hall's books. Promo PDFs were watermarked with headers containing reviewer's email addresses, so even in DRM-free format it was an acceptable way to deliver digital materials.

Can you tell me if the PDF and the EPUB from Packt have your email in the headers?

Let me talk to Pact and see if they can, somehow, enable purchase registration on their site that will allow same personalized PDFs to be delivered to Amazon or Packt Portal buyers.

@CheckPointerXL , can you tell me what are the downsides with Kindle format downloads and Kindle cloud reader experience, if any?

Thank you,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
Tobias_Moritz
Advisor

@Vladimir : The version I bought from Packt has no watermarks, neither the PDF nor the EPUP. Maybe that's why they removed that version.

I understand that free floating copies (and a DRM-free watermark-free PDF increases the chances for that) are a problem, because authors should be paid for their work.

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

@Tobias_Moritz , thank you for letting me know. Likely, that's the reason they have pulled it. My guess is that by registering on their portal allows them to watermark PDFs delivered to their customers.

I still have no idea how the digital copies bought from Amazon look like and in what formats those are being delivered. If anyone in this thread bought one, please let me know.

I would also, very much, appreciate the reviews from those that have read the book on Amazon as well as on Packt portal (if they even have a review option there).

Regards,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events