Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex_Fray
Participant

Resize Checkpoint VM in Azure

We are running a R77.30 Cluster in Azure on two D2v2 virtual machines (2 core, 7GB ram). The VPN traffic volume has naturally increased as we have moved applications to Azure and we are getting to a point where we may need to increase the VM size to cope with the additional VPN load. Firstly, will more cores and RAM help provide more VPN throughput by spreading the load across more cores?

If so, I know you can re-size Windows virtual machines in Azure easily. Is it supported to re-size a Checkpoint VM in Azure? So from a D2v2 (2 core, 7GB ram) to a D3v2 (4 core, 14GB ram). I have available vsec licenses for the additional cores so licensing is not an issue. If it is supported is it literally re-size the VM in Azure portal and reboot or is there any other Checkpoint considerations? for example CoreXL?

thanks

Alex

2 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

If you are running blades other than Firewall, VPN, and Identity Awareness, no.

This is because the combination of the various Software Blades + VPN results in all VPN traffic being on Core 0.

Adding more cores to a R77.30 gateway doesn't solve this, but upgrading to R80.10 will as this release removes that limitation. 

Other than that, shutting down, changing instance type, and restarting is supported/will work (if you have licenses of course).

Alex_Fray
Participant

Thanks Dameon. I'm running FW, VPN, APP, URL blades which by your response suggests a resize on the current R77.30 version won't make a difference. Might have to look at upgrading to R80.10 once I've seen someone do this successfully with a cluster in Azure as this is a prod environment.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.