Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Harshpal_Bhati
Employee
Employee

Script to Automate GAIA Configuration backup

Hi,

i wrote below script for my customer to automate gaia configuration backup of gateway . Script runs on management and it can fetch the "show configuration"  of all the gateway and create a file for individual gateway .

Steps :

Perform below on management server .

1. Create a Directory called gaiagwbkp under /var/log
  2.  Create a file called gateway_ip_list.txt under /opt/CPsuite-R80/fw1/scripts and add ip address of the gateway which is being managed by same management server
  3. [Expert@PROD-MGMT-R80:0]# cat gateway_ip_list.txt
    [Expert@PROD-MGMT-R80:0]#
  4. Create a file called gaiafwbkp.sh under /opt/CPsuite-R80/fw1/scripts and copy the script content and change file permission

[Expert@PROD-MGMT-R80:0]# cat gaiafwbkp.sh
#!/bin/sh
source /opt/CPshrd-R80/tmp/.CPprofile.sh
for dest in $(<gateway_ip_list.txt); do
hostname=`cprid_util -server $dest -verbose rexec -rcmd /bin/bash -c "hostname"`
now=$(date +"%m_%d_%Y")
cprid_util -server $dest -verbose rexec -rcmd /bin/clish -c "show configuration" > /var/log/gaiagwbkp/$hostname$now
done

4. run script gaiafwbkp.sh

5. Schedule job from GAIA portal using job scheduler 

6. if needed you can run another job to ftp this backup files to ftp server as well

12 Replies
ED
Advisor

Thanks for sharing, very useful. 

HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Nice!

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
0 Kudos
Martin_Valenta
Advisor

CDT is better way to do that. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

CDT only works on R77.30 and later.

I could see this script being useful on older systems, potentially. 

That said, I must provide a word of caution with this approach. 

Especially in some earlier versions of Gaia, the order that "show configuration" outputs the commands in won't necessarily work when you import that same configuration.

Allen_Fambro
Employee
Employee

Does CDT work for SMB appliances (1100's, 1400's) that are centrally managed?? One of the requirements is that the gateways are on Gaia R77.30 however the "Gaia Embedded" software line is only at R77.20.85 to date.
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

CDT is not supported for SMB appliances.
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

@PhoneBoy , yep: the add and set sequence gets out of whack. Still seeing it happening when attempting to replicate old Gaia configs on the newly deployed gateways using output of "show configuration".

Theoretically, pasting this file twice should solve these issues, as the prerequisites will take effect in the first pass and dependent settings in second.

0 Kudos
Dave_Taylor1
Collaborator

What is CDT?
0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

sk111158: Central Deployment Tool (CDT)

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Andrew_Larrick
Participant

I love this idea, and the script works great if I run it manually but has anyone been able to make it run via Job Scheduler?  Doesn't work for me.   Running R80.30.   I have updated the relevant paths to R80.30 and even went so far as to add an absolute path for cprid_util, still nothing.

Thanks for any suggestions

Andrew 

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Just install CDT on your management, edit $CDTDIR/CentralDeploymentTool.xml to your needs and add the following line to the job scheduler of your management server:

source /etc/profile.d/CP.sh; . $CDTDIR/CentralDeploymentTool -rma -backupall 2>/dev/null
0 Kudos
dj0Nz
Advisor

Late to the show but maybe this helps anyone else: For me, a similar solution worked only after adding hostname entries for the gateways. And I had to remove nonprintables from hostnames which did get there anyhow I dont know. You may find scripts for adding hostnames and doing config backups on my Github repository (https://github.com/dj0nz/cptools).

But I agree with other comments here: Check out CDT if you can spare the time. Probably the better long-term solution.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events