Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_OMeara
Participant

Dial modem access through serial port

Is it possible to have console access to a 750 Firewall through the serial port using a dial modem (US Robotics) and phone line? I am using a Cisco console cable from the serial port to the modem, and the modem on my desktop computer is connected using a standard RS232-DB9 serial cable. I have set the console port on the firewall to Speed=9600, Flow Control=XON/XOFF, Port Enabled, and Mode=Console. The modems connect, but I get nothing when I hit Enter.

I don't find any discussions or information on doing this. Is anyone doing this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

As to whether or not anyone is using a modem for this, I can't say for sure.

That said, I would try it with the correct settings for the 600/700/1100/1200R/1400 series appliances:

• Baud rate = 115200 bps
  • Data bits = 8
  • Parity = None
  • Stop bits = 1
  • Flow Control = None

Refer to the following SK: Serial console connection configuration for Check Point appliances 

0 Kudos
Mike_OMeara
Participant

Yes, I've seen that but it appears to be intended for a direct connection to the console port of the firewall. I suspect I will have to create a rollover cable to go between the console cable and the modem because what I've read leads me to believe the console cable is a null modem cable and is crossing RX to TX in both directions.I was hoping someone had done that and had a solution or at least a pinout. I read an item in the CP_IP390_Installation_Guide.pdf on page 23 that gave me some hope. I am still testing.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

When early versions of what are now the IP Appliances were designed more than 20 years ago, this was a much more common requirement.

As a result, the IPSO operating system that runs on the IP390 has explicit support for a modem console.

Having said that, assuming you get the cable right, I am not aware of anything that would prevent you from using a modem with the console port.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events