AnsweredAssumed Answered

R77.30 to R80.10 upgrade - licensing question

Question asked by Ruan Kotze on Jul 6, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 by Valeri Loukine

We are upgrading to R80.10 following the "Advanced Upgrade with Database Migration" methodology as prescribed by CheckPoint.  Due to the limitations on the Smart-1 205/210 appliances (Cannot run SmartEvent with Management) we are migrating our management appliance to a VM running on VMware.

So, this means that:

- The management server is being migrated from a physical Smart-1 205 appliance to a Virtual Appliance

- The virtual appliance has the *same* IP address and hostname as the physical appliance

- The virtual appliance has a *different* MAC address

The actual migration runs fine (migrate import / export etc.) however the new virtual appliance comes up as unlicensed

- According to p. 78 of the "CP_R80.10_Installation_and_Upgrade_Guide" the license should work as long as the IP address stays the same

- TAC confirmed (can provide SR if necessary) that there should be no issue with licensing as long as we keep the same IP

I can see in the R80.10 Gaia portal that the licenses are transferred over, but they are not active.  If I look at the actual .lic file I can see a reference to the MAC address of the physical appliance.

What do I need to do get my virtual appliance licensed and up and running.  I have a case open with TAC at this moment, but response has been less than stellar.

Thanks,

Ruan

Outcomes