If you plan to implement any sort of autoscaling, the gateways will not use state sync.
This is because the Security Gateway are configured standalone and will be front-ended by load balancers, which will distribute the traffic to the gateways.
For more information on autoscaling, refer to the following SKs:
- Auto Scaling in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Auto Scaling in Microsoft Azure
- Check Point vSEC reference architecture for Google Cloud Platform
For situations where autoscaling is not planned, or for protecting outbound connectivity from the Public Cloud, Active/Standby clusters can be configured which will use state sync.
However, because of limitations of the type of communication allowed between instances, only two members of a cluster can be configured.
For more information on using ClusterXL in public cloud, refer to the following SKs:
- Deploying a Check Point Cluster in AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- Deploying a Check Point Cluster in Microsoft Azure
ClusterXL in Google Cloud Platform is expected to be supported later in 2017.