cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jesus_Cano
Collaborator

Best procedure upgrate to R80.10

Hi, 

I have to upgrade from R77.20 to R80.10.

SMS is virtual in Vcenter

Gateways are openserver fisical.

The procedure for the SMS that i have thought is this:

-Get a migrate export in R77.20 from customer .

-Mount a VM with R77.20 and do "migrate import" of previous step. 

-Use the upgrate tools for R80.10. What tool i need to use in order to migrate config R77.20 to R80.10?

-After generate the backup in R80.10, i will create a new VM installing R80.10 iso and will import the backup in R80.10.

-When i have to run the upgrade verify?

Thanks a lot

T

9 Replies
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

Use the R80 migration tools.

You first need to run the pre-upgrade verifier on the R77.20 SMS to address any incompatibility.

When done, run migrate export customer.tgz on the R77.20, copy it to your new R80.10 VM along with the R80.10 tools, and run migrate import customer.tgz and you should be set. Of course run the First-Time Wizard first to set the R80.10 VM as management.

During the upgrade procedure, once you got all the network information and export of the R77.20 station, you can shut it down so the R80.10 can restart with the same IP and your cluster will be present.

Tools for R80.10 are here: Support, Support Requests, Training, Documentation, and Knowledge base for Check Point products and ... 

Also, you could go to R80.20 which is now the recommended GA and enjoy the new 3.10 kernel.

0 Kudos
Jesus_Cano
Collaborator

Hi alex, 

thanks a lot for your response. So what is that i need from customer in order not requering file all the time. Its enough with migrate export with R77.20 tools?. In my lab i will ise the R80 tools an verifier.

I want to replicate the scenario in my lab so i think it will be enough with a backup in R77.20, right?

0 Kudos
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

If you can replicate the customer's SMS in your lab, then yes the R80 migrations will give you what you need.

0 Kudos
Jesus_Cano
Collaborator

Perfect. I understand that all the config parts which are not allowed in R80 i will see then when i run "pre-upgrade verifier" of R80 tools, in R77.20 installed, right?

0 Kudos
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, you will get a report telling you if the upgrade is allowed or not, and why. 

0 Kudos
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

Alternately, you can run this service online and do/ask the customer to set it up with your email address, so you don't even have to replicate their environment initially. If you only get warnings and not a lot of action items, it might save you time.

R80.10 Upgrade Verification and Environment Simulation service 

0 Kudos
Mark_Mitchell
Advisor

I would always run through a test migration in a lab environment for a customer to ensure that when you come to do the actual migration there should be no surprises on the process or the result. 

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos
Jesus_Cano
Collaborator

Yes, we will run the migrate export in lab, test it.

Related to the GWs: we will run the R80.10 fresh install using USB. Servers are: DELL Power Edge R710

Anything that i have to keep in mind with the deploy R80.10 in USB or any incompatilibity about the .ISO.

The procedure we will do for GWs is:

1) the active member will be working in R77.20.

2)we will perform the fresh install in the standby unit. We will copy the "save config" that we got in the previous R77.20. We will add all files customized (fwkern.conf , local.arp) 

We will configure the SIC between GW and SMS. We will apply the policy from SMS. We will attach the licenses from SMS to GW.

Is that ok? any step missing? advice?

When we check that everything is correct in the standby and we can install policy and everything looks like perfect. We will proceed to turn off the active member, and we will connect the cables in the secondary in order to take the service. WE will check that everything is correct before upgrading the another node,.

How do you see these step??? any improvement?

0 Kudos
Jesus_Cano
Collaborator

In the SMS we will run fresh install. But in GWs (active/passive), we are thinking to run upgrade cpuse package. So its ok to run this package or its better fresh install in Gws? 

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events