Wondering if anyone has experienced something similar to this. When we install the MUH agent on a machine, it will connect fine, but after roughly 1 minute, it will disconnect, then after 20-30 second sit will reconnect again. It will continue to do this over and over.
This same thing happens on all machines we run it on. We have updated to a newer hotfix, renewed the internal certs, rebooted the firewall etc.
When the disconnect happens we get a rather vague message in the smartlog:
"An error was detected while trying to authenticate against the AD server. It may be a problem of bad configuration or connectivity. Please refer to the troubleshooting guide for more help"