Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan_Zada
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

*New* Splunk App for Check Point Logs

Hello all,

I’m happy to announce about a new Splunk app for Check Point logs.

Check Point brings you an advanced and real-time threat analysis and reporting tool for Splunk. The Check Point App for Splunk allows you to respond to security risks immediately and gain network true insights.

You can collect and analyze millions of logs from all Check Point technologies and platforms across networks, Cloud, Endpoints and Mobile.

Key features are:

• Infinity Dashboards
    • General overview
    • Top attacks
    • Detected and prevented events
    • Events timeline
    • Blades statistics
  • Cyber Attack View – a unique ability to aggregate Check Point events per attack vector (cross all blades)
    • Reconnaissance actions against the network
    • Delivery methods
    • Malicious emails
    • Malicious file download
    • Server Exploit
    • Infected hosts
  • SandBlast Events – predefined aggregation for mail and web attack vectors
  • CIM Support – Check Point logs are mapped into CIM (Common Information Model) and can be analyzed using standard dashboards (such as Splunk Enterprise Security)
    More information on CIM can be found here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/CIM/4.12.0/User/Overview
  • Fast Deploy – an easy and fast deployment using the new Log Exporter

The app can be downloaded from Splunk base: Check Point App for Splunk | Splunkbase 

For any question, comment or suggestion, please contact cp_splunk_app_support@checkpoint.com.

Thank you!

Dan Zada, Group Manager.

22 Replies
Jack_Shultz
Explorer

Do we have to use the new Log Exporter to take full advantage of the new Splunk App?

Dan_Zada
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Yes, you have to use the new log exporter.

DeletedUser
Not applicable

and a Log Exporter version that supports the new "splunk" format and sending logs in semi-unified mode. 

• R80.20 Jumbo Take 5 or higher, (sk137592)
  • R80.10 Jumbo Take 56 or higher, (sk116380)
  • R77.30 Jumbo Take 292 or higher, (sk106162)
D_W
Advisor

Can I not use SmartReport to generate such kind of Views/Reports? I do not get the point why to use splunk? Maybe you can explain more specific Smiley Happy

Dan_Zada
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

SmartEvent has most of those views out of the box.

Many customers are using Splunk as another place to keep logs related to ALL security and IT vendors. This is why we created this integration and allowed our customers to export the logs using the log exporter to any SIEM vendor.

Yemi_Awojide
Explorer

I have a few questions:

1. Is Splunk multivendor compatible

2. Do it require additional license to run Splunk App?

3. Can it also be used to pull out health check reports on physical & virtual firewalls/VPNs? (CPU, Memory Utilization, disk space, traffic volume and availability etc)

Dan_Zada
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

1. Our Splunk app is working on top of Check Point logs.

2. Not that I know of.

3. No, you can only pull logs

et_splunker
Explorer

Question on #3 -  I am trying to pull health status related logs to Splunk. How do I do that?

Nüüül
Advisor

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

c9a127e7-d053-3
Explorer

We've been using the Log Exporter for a few months now. The Checkpoint logs are getting forwarded to a central syslog sever (rsyslog) and then forwarded to splunk (also via syslog). We've written a custom Splunk checkpoint app to split the fields and using the QOS Dashboards for some nice graphs.

When reading the instructions for the Checkpoint App for Splunk, it mentions using a "splunk" format (which I don't think got mentioned in the original Log Exporter article):

cp_log_export add name my_exporter target-server 192.168.1.1 target-port 12001 protocol tcp format splunk read-mode semi-unified

My questions are:

1. Can we still use the central syslog server as an intermediate step before shipping the logs to Splunk using the "splunk" format?
  2. Does the Check Point 'cache' the logs if there is a network or splunk server issue?
  3. Is there any loss in functionality if we can use the syslog as an intermediate step?
  4. How does the 'splunk' format differ from the 'syslog' format?

Shay_Hibah
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hi,

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes, you can still use your central syslog server before shipping these logs to your Splunk server.
    Make sure to choose format 'splunk' when exporting the logs out from your MGMT / Log Server.
  2. In case of network issue, Log Exporter knows to deal with caching the logs. When the connection is available again, the logs will be sent.
  3. No.
  4. When choosing splunk as format in Log Exporter configuration, the logs will be sent in the format that our new application knows how to parse the data correctly. the format contains dedicated header, delimiters and etc.
    Therefore, when working with our new app, the format must be splunk in order to get the data correctly into Splunk server.
Rudy_Hodges
Explorer

Hi,

Has there been an RFE raised to export pcap files (packet capture) via Log Exporter to SIEMs - in my case Splunk?

I am referring to Packet Capture for Certain Protections in the IPS has been enabled.

Dan_Zada
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hi,

Yes, we have RFE for that and it will be released later this year.

We are going to implement that using management APIs, meaning the exporter will add additional field representing the blob ID, to every log. Using the management API you will be able to get the blob.

Stay tuned for more updates in SK122323.

0 Kudos
Chris_Phillips
Participant

Will this also capture and report on Audit events like who created/deleted/modified what and who logged in etc?

0 Kudos
DeletedUser
Not applicable

yes, answered earlier on CheckMates... in the targetconfiguration.xml file, there is a parameter called log_types like this:

<log_types></log_types><!--all[default]|log|audit/-->

The default is for both security logs and audit logs to be sent, but you can change this to only send one or the other.
Josh_Dillig
Participant

Are there plans to release a Splunk dashboard that would allow us to mimic SmartConsole's Log section? The Dashboard announced here is a good overview from Threat, but its not a good replacement for SmartConsole. We'd like something that we can search by IP and have them displayed in a useful manner.

Also in our environment we have found that sending the logs via method TCP creates problems (even after changing the thread count from the default of 12 to just 1) and have resorted to UDP only.

CCMA
0 Kudos
Dror_Aharony
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

I'm curious on the TCP problems:

Do you mean performance issues? Please elaborate on any log-exporter TCP related issues you had.

0 Kudos
Josh_Dillig
Participant

We would see only 1 or 2 of the 12 threads establishing TCP sockets. We did have some CLMs that would complete all 12 sockets, but in general it was unstable. We never was able to determine conclusively that it was on the MLM side instead of the Splunk side. There is a TAC case opened (6-0001798729) on it along with a CFG task. There is a tcpdump in the SR, we saw SYN-ACKs coming back but never being ACK'd. 

CCMA
0 Kudos
Datarockz
Explorer

Hello everyone,

according to Splunkbase the app only supports Splunk 7.2.

Has anyone tried it out on 7.3+? Are there any known issues? Is an update planned to support the most current Splunk versions?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Shay_Hibah
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hi,

The app is supported on 7.3.

A new version should be released soon.

Shay

mfbo
Explorer

Just installed it on Splunk 7.3.2. 

Started the log exporter and everything worked within 5 Minutes.

0 Kudos
Ruth
Explorer

Hello  may I ask the target_server that you sent to is a Splunk Indexer? Could we get rid of Splunk Fowarder on source side, sending directly to a Splunk Indexer? Is Splunk Forwarder a must for this addon?

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events