Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_Chau
Contributor

VSX snapshot overhead on production

I am scheduled to apply a JHF to my gateways during a maintenance window tonight.  To minimize the window, I would like to run a snapshot before the window starts.  Does anyone know the resource utilization for a snapshot?  Will this have a huge impact on production traffic?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

Dear David,

most used ressource if taking a snapshot will be the disksystem. If your gateway is not running near 100% on all CPUs, there will be no problem taking a snapshot. If you export your snapshot to an external system, there will be more CPU utilization because of some "tar" processes.

And have a look at the special handling for backup/restore of VSX-gateways sk100395. You have to take a snapshot and restore a snapshot on management and gateway from the same time. Except if you didn't changed the VSX-configuration.

best regards

CPRQ
Collaborator

Hi, we have cluster of VSX and it has 3 VS. Do we need to take snapshot only from VS0 OR all 3 VS. Also got the following commands to take snapshot and restore, Can you please confirm the commands?

vsx from clish
add snapshot <Name of Snapshot> desc "<Description of Snapshot>"
set snapshot revert<SPACE><TAB>

0 Kudos
David_Chau
Contributor

Those commands are correct and you are using them on clish so it would be VS0.

You can also use this command for the status of the snapshot, "show snapshots"

0 Kudos
Julian_Sanchez
Collaborator

I have a question. with the snapshot I have the all configuration? all virtual systems? I read the recommendation is do at the same thime with the managment. 

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

If your just installing a Jumbo on the VSX appliance, then you just need to do a snapshot on each of the nodes, if you want to do the manager, feel free, but I personal don't as the version is not actually changing.

Snapshots timing varies, but I would expect it to too long ie. say 15 mins.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events