Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tommy_Forrest
Advisor

80.10 VS bit-ed-ness

Does anyone know why the powers-that-be (tm) decided it was a good idea to set the default bit-ed-ness of a new 80.10 VSX instance to 32-bit when the base Gaia install is 64-bit?

And why on earth that is even a thing?

Just got bit, again, with workerthreads filling up and discovered this issue.  Pretty cool that you can switch it on the fly, though.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

With vs set to 32bit there are only 4GB reserved for every VS. If you have not to much memory you‘re be better to run in „old“ 32-bit Mode. But if memory is no Limitation change it to 64Bit. This requires an reboot.

Starting with R80.20 vs with 64-bit is always on.

The "vs_bits" command does not work in R80.20 

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
Tommy_Forrest
Advisor

I get that.  What I don't understand is why anyone thought it would be a good idea to spin up new instances in 32-bit when the base OS is 64.

Especially when you're rolling on something like a 15600.

0 Kudos
Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

Tommy,

I think this has something to do with the older releases, coming from 32-bit on the way to 64-bit. With vs in 32bit you can have more VS on the same system then with 64bit.

I had a customer with a lot of small VS, no much throughput, only 4000-5000 connections per VS. They are happy with VS in 32bit.

Now with the newer releases you have what you want, 64-bit over all 😉
Wolfgang

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Not sure if this was the thinking here, but we've done similar things with other features we've added over the years.
Namely, add them, but leave them off by default.
Once we're confident it won't cause any additional issues, we enable it by default.

And like Wolfgang said, 64-bit VS is the default from R80.20 onward.
In fact, there's no option to use 32-bit 😁
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events