Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ED
Advisor

VMware backup vs migrate export vs Gaia snapshot

Your scenario is this: Security Managment Server is running on VMware as a virtual machine. Something has gone wrong and you have concluded that a backup restore is the only way to fix it. You have three choices, VMware backup or migrate export or Gaia snapshot to restore from. Which one would you choose? Why would you choose that particular one instead of the other options? What are the benefits? Also in which scenario do you consider each of these options as the best backup restore solution? 

5 Replies
Petr_Hantak
Advisor
Advisor

From my personal perspective I prefer following:

1. VMware backup restore - easy and quick way. You can easilly setup periodic backup as well. At least I never faced issue with this one. Backup could run on background.
  2. Gaia snapshot - again easy to restore on specially on same device. Problem what I see here is the snapshot is usually quite big and when you want to get it out from device, you must export it. Here I can see obstacle with automatic scheduled snapshoting and copying out from the device. Snapshot could be still taken on background. I prefer it more as mandatory step before updates/other bigger configuration changes.
  3. Migrate export - I like this for migrations rather then for backuping. You can use it, but when youwant to take it, you must disconnect all clients or stop services.

There is one missing option - scheduled-backup. It is designed for everyday backup job, running on background and you can copy out files by it easilly.

I think the best way is to use option VMware backup  and scheduled-backup together, so you have two available options for restore.

Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

Just be aware that when your VMware backup is actually a snapshot, you might run into problems when restoring.
To prevent these type of problems you need to run cpstop on management before making the snapshot and cpstart afterwards.

Regards, Maarten
Petr_Hantak
Advisor
Advisor

Good you mention it. I fully agree with you.

0 Kudos
ED
Advisor

When I said VMware backup I was thinking on Veeam backup for the VMware machine running SMS, does it still apply to Veeam what you said? If it does, how to avoid it when it's a scheduled backup job? 

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

Sorry Enis,

I don't know how the Veeam backup handles the VM and how it creates the backup. 

A while back I was at a TAC training and there several people told me that making a snapshot while the CP services are running can lead to unpredictable results when restored.

Regards, Maarten

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events