Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monks15
Explorer

Migrate/Move management server to a new subnet

We have a large datacenter move coming up and the management server sits in the datacenter that is moving. I am going to have to move this server (virtual machine) to a different datacenter with a completely different network. I was thinking I could just copy the VMDK over to that site, bring the management server online, and then IP it with an IP on the new network. I was considering even leveraging VMware SRM for this process. However other people on the team that have some checkpoint experience (although not much) are not sure if this will work.

Will SRM be a bad idea to move the management server? Will the gateways stop talking to it after its moved? Is there a different recommended procedure for these types of situations?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FedericoMeiners
Advisor

Your procedure should work but the two times that I tried something similar there were some weird issues with the VM, maybe the ESXi guys weren't skilled enough.

Personally I would just perform an export of the MGMT server, apply the procedure to change the IP on the export and deploy it in parallel.

Keep in mind that even if you don't have to reset SIC right away it is recommended that you do it in the short term.

Some SKs that may help:

How to change the IP Address of a Security Management  

How to renew SIC after changing IP Address of Security Management Server  

Hope it helps

Champion
Champion

Anything you do with VMware and a SMS, just make sure you shut down the server before you do anything, even creating a VM shapshot.

A much better way is to do a clean install of the latest R80.40 management server and do a migrate export and import on the new server with the new IP. Just make sure to add full access from the new IP to/from the gateway(s) to make sure that the new management server can communicate with the gateway(s) after the migration.

Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Christian_Koehl
Collaborator
Collaborator

Don't forget the licensening.

You need new license keys for the new IP of the mgmt. Maybe you create some Evals for the mirgration.....

0 Kudos
MartinTzvetanov
Advisor

or add a dummy interface with the old IP address, so the license will match the proper ip address

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events