Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Carson
Contributor

MDS installed on KVM no longer boots after installing jumbo 203

I have a lab replicas of a production R80.10 MDS\MLM, which have been working perfectly virtualised on KVM. After installing jumbo take 203 neither system will boot. This appears seems to be some issue with grub, not sure what exactly as all on surface seems to be fine. After restoring a back up of the grub config it boots but now it does not recognised any of the network interfaces - it looks like the virtio drivers are not longer working, lots of events in the messages file say virtio_net unknown symbol:(

Anyone running on redhat qemu  KVM?

Anyone experienced something similar?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Not a great help but esx worked with no issues on both MDS and MLM recently.
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

Hi Richard,

Just making sure you are using a supported flavor of KVM:

https://www.checkpoint.com/support-services/hcl/

HCL - KVM.JPG

Tal

Richard_Carson
Contributor

Hi Tal

Indeed yes, RHEL7 KVM

So, futher update. It seems to relate to uninstalling multiple hotfixes without rebooting using the suppress reboot option in the latest deployment agent - I ran though the whole install process this time tediously rebooting after every HF removal and no issues. Have not yet figured out why, it would cause this particular boot problem.

Unfortunately, this mean that to update to T203 jumbo + another private fix on top, it is going to take 7 reboots to reach the required patch level. This is not very practical and is a step back from where we were with legacy unixinstall scripts.

This is linux not windows - why so many reboots? Can these be avoided.

Yes I have he latest DA agent but I also have multiple private fixes which I have to remove before the jumbo will go on.

regards

Richard

0 Kudos
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

Hi Richard,

You are right a and it does sound not practical.

I an adding a couple of people that might shed some light on this - @Boaz_Orshav @Lior_Manor @Tsahi_Etziony 

Tal

0 Kudos
Boaz_Orshav
Employee
Employee

Hi

Just a short clarification: Why did you have to uninstall allthe HFs before installing the Jumbo?

Notice that lately we released a DA which helps you to refrain from the uninstalls assuming the HFs are included in the Jumbo you are installing.

The Jumbo will be installed on top of the HFs and no need for any reboot (except after the Jumbo installation)

Richard_Carson
Contributor

The Jumbo refused to install with the private hotfixes installed - i believe as they are not hotfixes that have been added to the jumbo yet.

In regards the KVM booting issues, i ran a few more patch cycles and even when i rebooted between each patch, they still fails to boot - stuck on 'loading' . I can boot them using grub superdisk.

Have since upgraded 7 physical open servers and didnt have any issue for these, so appears limited to KVM.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events