cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Horne
Advisor

Logs & Monitoring - Reverse DNS lookups incorrect

Hello,

I  have been looking for information about how the reverse DNS lookup works for the "logs" in R80.10.  The issue we have is that the FQDN being displayed in the Logs is incorrect. In the log view ZRH-L00053" is displayed for the IP 10.166.138.158

Log Veiw

When we check the DNS on the management server the host ZRH-D00008 is the actual owner of this IP Address in both directions and ZRH-L00053 maps to another IP

nslookup

If anyone has any information about how this reverse DNS lookup is working it would be great

Many thanks,

Michael

10 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Curious, what does the DNS on the gateway that accepted/blocked the traffic say about this IP?

As far as I know, this is resolved on the management station.

You might also look at the local hosts file on the management station to see if it say something different as I believe that will take precedence. 

0 Kudos
Michael_Horne
Advisor

HI,

Your assumptions match up with mine. In the end as a work around I restarted the management server as a way to force the server to re-query the DNS for the information. I bit extreme, I found not other information about how to reset the DNS cache on the device.

Scott_Chambers
Participant

Did you run into any other issues since?
I just noticed we are having the same problem on our management server (R80.20 JHF 47).

Can resolve properly with the correct PTR when doing a nslookup from our management server, log server and smartconsole machine but logs simply don't update.

Is there any DNS cache clear on the management server verses a reboot?
0 Kudos
Scott_Chambers
Participant

Well.....we opened a TAC case on this one.   We got a runaround at first about how PTR works overall but quickly got TAC to focus on the real issue:  The management/log server.

TAC had us go through DNS cache clears on the smartconsole machine but no changes.

Last night, we rebooted both of our management and log servers per TAC's request (and only after referencing this thread).

Today.......all is resolving correctly 🙂

So.....now we are pushing TAC on 'why' this occurred and 'how' this can be prevented going forward.

0 Kudos
Enrico
Participant

Hello Scott, 

have you had any update from TAC? I'm wandering if there is a solution to the problem because I'm experiencing the same trouble on R80.30 environment. I also found that using smartconsole I get wrong resolution, using old Smartview tracker  hidden in the console folder ip are correctly resolved. 

Maybe it just use a different cache...

Thank you for sharing 

Enrico 

0 Kudos
LadaNemecek
Participant

Hi,

top this thread. Were the TAC helpful with describing the issue and privide resolution, reboot of machines its not a solution. And cannot find the way how to clear dns cache (hard to say if would help). Found similar issue on R81 mgmt

Thanks

0 Kudos
Robin_H
Contributor

Same on R81.10.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

I'll link you to a possible resolution shortly, just need to revisit my archives on the issue.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

Hello,

same problem here, i'm on R81.

Anyone solved? 

thank you

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events