cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor
Jump to solution

How does R80 assist in saving time handling activation of IPS protections?

Other than the new user interface, which features in R80 SmartConsole reduce the time required to decide activation of IPS protections?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

The IPS Protections view in R80 leverages the new stronger back-end. Protections load and get filtered much faster than previous versions. As the Management server is more powerful, the SmartConsole process no longer needs to load all the protections into its memory but rather uses paged results, which reduces the process size and the dependability on Windows hardware.

The view also had a user experience overhaul, making working on the protections a more intuitive work. We believe that this is important in saving time and giving more clear information to the user.

The bottom pane presents logs per protection. By observing actual traffic that was matched to the protections, the administrator can make faster decisions in changing the protection actions.

protections-view.png

Finally, a new key feature on IPS Profiles is activation by tags. Each protection has various tags related to the OS, the exploited application, protocols and more. A user can customize his IPS profile to automatically prevent or deactivate protections by their tags. This feature works on all versions of the Gateways.

Please let us know if there are additional tags that you wish we could add to protections in order to further automate the decision making of protection actions.

tags.png

Edit: Managing IPS in R80 has a new concept: Staging Protections. For more, see What are IPS Staging Protections? And how do we clear them?

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

The IPS Protections view in R80 leverages the new stronger back-end. Protections load and get filtered much faster than previous versions. As the Management server is more powerful, the SmartConsole process no longer needs to load all the protections into its memory but rather uses paged results, which reduces the process size and the dependability on Windows hardware.

The view also had a user experience overhaul, making working on the protections a more intuitive work. We believe that this is important in saving time and giving more clear information to the user.

The bottom pane presents logs per protection. By observing actual traffic that was matched to the protections, the administrator can make faster decisions in changing the protection actions.

protections-view.png

Finally, a new key feature on IPS Profiles is activation by tags. Each protection has various tags related to the OS, the exploited application, protocols and more. A user can customize his IPS profile to automatically prevent or deactivate protections by their tags. This feature works on all versions of the Gateways.

Please let us know if there are additional tags that you wish we could add to protections in order to further automate the decision making of protection actions.

tags.png

Edit: Managing IPS in R80 has a new concept: Staging Protections. For more, see What are IPS Staging Protections? And how do we clear them?

Henrik_Noerr
Explorer

Could you offer advice on how to activate every IPS protections marked as 'Staging'?

Currently you can only select the staging protections on a single page because the selection resets if you scroll the page.

Ctrl + A does not work, neither does page up/down.

So no, I don't think r80 is any improvement at all regarding IPS

Best regards,

Henrik

0 Kudos
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

Hi Henrik,

Can you please elaborate on the way you usually handle your IPS protections? Are you saying that following an IPS update, you select all staging protections, override their action to Detect, and install policy? We are interested with your use case.

This is indeed a limitation of the R80 GUI application. We plan to address that in later releases.

A workaround could be writing a tool using the following R80 API commands.

Edit: This is actually a combination of the GUI and the API commands. This could be automated a little bit but here it goes:

1. Inside the IPS Protections view, filter to only show protections in staging mode. Select Actions-->Export to export them to a CSV file.

2. copy the names of these protections and create a batch API file to set all of their actions to Detect. For example, let's say we have 3 profiles - Optimized, Strict and Basic, and 2 protections currently in staging - "MyApplication Params Overflow" and "GigaCom Protocol Abuse". Their CSV will look like this:

Protection,Industry Reference,Release Date,Update Date,Performance Impact,Severity,Confidence Level,Optimized,Strict,Basic

MyApplication Params Overflow,,12-11-15,12-11-15,Medium,Medium,Medium,Inactive,Detect,Inactive,

GigaCom Protocol Abuse,,19-05-15,26-05-15,Medium,N/A,Medium,Inactive,Detect,Inactive,

modify it so that it now looks like this:

set threat-protection name "MyApplication Params Overflow" overrides.1.profile Basic overrides.1.action Detect overrides.2.profile Optimized overrides.2.action Detect overrides.3.profile Strict overrides.3.action Detect 

set threat-protection name "GigaCom Protocol Abuse" overrides.1.profile Basic overrides.1.action Detect overrides.2.profile Optimized overrides.2.action Detect overrides.3.profile Strict overrides.3.action Detect 

save that file.

3. Open the Command Line.

cmd.png

4. Open that file and run it.

cmd-cp.png

0 Kudos
Raj_Khatri
Advisor

I agree, you also can no longer view logs for ALL protections that are in Staging - which is very annoying.  Going through each protection to view the logs is very time consuming.

Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

Thank you for this feedback Raj.

As you may have noticed, we retired the Follow Up flag for IPS Protections in R80 in exchange for automatic Staging and Tags.

Are you saying that you used the SmartView Tracker query for "IPS Protections in Follow Up" as a way to decide the actions for newly downloaded protections? We are planning to give better tools for handling protections in Staging Mode in the next releases so I would also like to hear whether you have other deciding factors. You can contact me privately if you prefer.

0 Kudos
Raj_Khatri
Advisor

Tomer, I was unable to figure out how to send a private message.  No problem.

Our Operations team used the SmartView Tracker query for "IPS Protections in Follow Up" to view logs and decide if the protections are relevant and Prevent or Disable as needed so they do not impact business-related traffic.  This has been valuable to use in our IPS implementation process.  Since follow up has been replaced by staging, if there is a way to filter in Smart Log for protections that are in "staging" that would be great, or on the IPS Protections page, have a filter to not only view protections in staging but all logs instead of just individual logs.

Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

Thank you for this feedback.

0 Kudos
Manuel_Kuback
Contributor

Hi,

we are a Check Point partner in Austria and also do handle some customers IPS database.

As I am responsible for some of them I can double check Raj's comment. We do (or did..) use the follow-up flag to see if there were events from new protections to decide if it needs to be prevented or not.

A similar thing would be nice in R80(.10) too. Everything else is kind of a downgrade 😕

Best regards,
Manuel

0 Kudos
Mikael_Johnsson
Explorer

I managed to select more protections than those on the current page by selecting one protection, pressing shift and then move down the list by pressing the down-arrow.

That allowed me to clear staging for more than 100 protections at a single time...

Really un-intuitive and not what I want from a "new" GUI....

Cheers

0 Kudos
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

This is a limitation of R80. A workaround for R80 would be the command-line approach that I demonstrated above.

We plan to have a better solution for that limitation in our next releases of the GUI.

0 Kudos
Abdul_Pallares
Explorer

It's great, more than great it's a must, to have ways to mitigate the time expensive task of IPS tunning.

Every improvement on that is very welcome. I ask myself, when will Checkpoint made use of the great ammount of information and knowledge about the traffic on the network to pruppose IPS rules to the customer?

In that sense I'm thinking on the Cisco approach, analizyn logs you know a lot about the network: OS, Services, some versions of apps, etc... with a litle work you can do a passive information gathering (ie: getting some service banners) and with all that pruppose some rule activation or deactivation.

Thanks for your work!

Regards

0 Kudos
Tomer_Sole
Mentor
Mentor

Hi,

I can now confirm several additions to the IPS Protections page for R80.10 (currently available in EA through Check Point User Center):

- Profile Cleanup: Supports bulk cleanup of all staging protections or all action overrides, per profile. Available from the toolbar under "Actions".

- Logs for all protections in current filter: When you filter the protections, you can select to see logs for all the given protections by the filter. Available from either the toolbar under "Actions", or from the logs bottom pane by clicking "Show logs for all protections in this view". This can be used to see logs for all protections marked as staging which, as some of you mentioned, is a gap closure from R77.30. Logs for IPS Protections in staging is also available from the SmartLog or SmartEvent queries tree.

Another closed gap from R77.30 is the integration for SNORT protections.

Your feedback is welcome.

Updated toolbar:

toolbar.png

Updated bottom pane:

bottompane.png

IPS-related queries from Logs & Monitor:

ipstree.png

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events