Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom_Cripps
Advisor

Do Access Roles need Identity Awareness to function?

Hi,

I'm looking to use Access roles to look at specific networks? This due to a requirement in having both network objects and an existing access role in the same rule.

I'm seeing though, that the access role looking at certain networks is only picking up identified users, through the use of the IA client. My question is then, do access roles need some form of IA client to work on the Endpoint?

Tom

4 Replies
Lari_Luoma
Ambassador Ambassador
Ambassador

Hi Tom,

In order to use access roles you don't need any clients on the end point. For instance you can use AD authentication and assign users different access based on the AD-group they belong to. You can also limit the location of a user to certain host or network, but this is not mandatory.

I recommend that you take a look at some of the videos (such as the one below) and articles about Identity Awareness to understand the basic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA5RFBuiJME

0 Kudos
Tom_Cripps
Advisor

Hi Lari,

Yes I know this is possible, we use this method elsewhere. I'm trying to locate devices which aren't part of AD.

Carey_Page-Sin1
Explorer

Hi Tom,

It sounds like you're wanting to achieve something similar to us, and is something I tried a couple of months back. In that you you have a common destination to control access to, from both identified users, and from standard networks (without identity being known)? However an Access-Role object and standard network object are not able to be used as sources in the same rule.

I had hoped/expected that as a workaround that we could define an Access-Role to represent the network source locations, by specifying only the network criteria, and leaving users and machines as 'any'. Thus then could include both the network-only Access-Role and identified-users Access-Role objects together in a single rule.

In my experience this didn't work.

The network-only Access Role did not match any of the IP addresses where identity was not known (eg. Linux PCs). Looking at pep/pdp queries I could see the network-only Access-Role was matched only to machines for which user or machine identity was otherwise discovered (by AD-Query or ID Agent).

No idea if this is supposed to work. I did log a support ticket from which it was suggested it should work - but is a discouraged method. It is intended that the network criteria is used as a filter for user or machine identities, but not intended to be used by itself. Though if this is the case I'm not sure why there is both 'Any user' and 'All identified users' (though I appreciate these can be used in combination with machine identities). I didn't have the capacity to troubleshoot further. So ended up just having two rules for each instance where this is required. One where the source is the Access-Role for identified users, and one where the source includes the standard network objects. Annoying to have to duplicate the rules like this, but seems to be the least headache, and is probably more reliable anyway (ie. no dependence on pep/pdp processes).

Not sure if this helps or is relevant to your situation.

Tom_Cripps
Advisor

Hi Carey,

This is literally what I'm trying to do 🙂 yeah, we was thinking of doing that exact method, not great but it seems to be the only workaround.. 

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events