Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jorge_Chavez
Participant
Jump to solution

Backing up existing $FWDIR/conf directory.

Hello,

I just decommissioned a few firewalls and would like to delete the firewall objects and associated policies.  I was reading sk15319 for instructions on how to delete the policy, but don't know how to backup conf directory.  Is it simply a matter of doing a secure copy from the firewall manager to a laptop?  Also, are there any specific steps i should follow when deleting firewall objects?  For example, should i delete the firewall object from the policy first, and then delete the policy package?  or vice versa?  I created a snapshot prior to doing anything.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Jorge

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
What version of management are you running?
If it's R80+, backing up the conf directory is probably not sufficient as most of the config is now in a database.

Generally, you can remove a policy package without removing the gateway associated with it.
In general, you can't remove a firewall object until you remove all of its dependencies.
It may be assigned to specific policy packages and/or used in policy packages.
The "Where Used" function can be helpful to determine where you might need to look to remove references to it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
What version of management are you running?
If it's R80+, backing up the conf directory is probably not sufficient as most of the config is now in a database.

Generally, you can remove a policy package without removing the gateway associated with it.
In general, you can't remove a firewall object until you remove all of its dependencies.
It may be assigned to specific policy packages and/or used in policy packages.
The "Where Used" function can be helpful to determine where you might need to look to remove references to it.
Jorge_Chavez
Participant

Hi PhoneBoy

I tried to reply, but don't think i did it correctly, so I will try again.

We are running R80.10 across the board.

Since backing up the conf directory is not the most sufficient, I'm assuming performing a snapshot is the preferred choice?

The firewall object is assigned to specific policy packages, and is used in rules as well.

I will make sure i use the "Where used" function and remove the corresponding references prior to deleting the policy package.

Thanks again for your help

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
A snapshot or a migrate export, yes.
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events