Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
William_Garner
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus
Jump to solution

Applying a new license after expiration of the current one

Hello,

Is the only method to apply a new license, after the current one has expired, via CLI and using "cplic"? Smart Update cannot be launched independently like it was in previous versions that I am aware of. I suppose you could use CPUSE but typing a license out is fraught with errors.

Any chance of this being a roadmap item? The temporary plug 'n' play license and evals do bite customers in the field and being able to quickly apply a license via a gui makes things easier for the admin. My 2 cents.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

There are no built-in program shortcuts to SmartUpdate installed by default, however you can directly run the SmartUpdate binary from  C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\R80\PROGRAM\SmartDistributor.exe to update your license and regain access to the R80 SmartConsole.

--

My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"

now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

View solution in original post

(1)
9 Replies
Quinn_Yost
Contributor

Which device(s) are you attempting to relicense?   I have never had to use the CLI to apply a license to my r80 instances.   Instead I paste the command into the Offline Activation/Add License section of Maintenance -> Licensing in WebUI.

Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

There are no built-in program shortcuts to SmartUpdate installed by default, however you can directly run the SmartUpdate binary from  C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\R80\PROGRAM\SmartDistributor.exe to update your license and regain access to the R80 SmartConsole.

--

My book "Max Power: Check Point Firewall Performance Optimization"

now available via http://maxpowerfirewalls.com.

(1)
ashish_solanki1
Participant

HI Tim,

I had applied 2 evaluation licenses one is expiring on 20th August and the other one is expiring on 10th September. 

So is it possible that the 2nd license will get updated by itself or do I have to do it manually by using the above method you told us.

Thanks in advance!!!

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

As long as the second license is properly attached you should be good to go through Sep 10th.  You shouldn't need to do anything when the first license expires.

--
Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

0 Kudos
William_Garner
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Thanks Tim! I was up working on a project late and grabbed the wrong executable. Well that shortcut is now on my desktop.

Appreciated!

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

My personal preference is to use the CLI for this. 

Then again, I've been doing this since when the command was fw putlic Smiley Happy

But, Timothy Hall, you can reach SmartUpdate from SmartConsole R80.x.

It's a menu option, in fact Smiley Happy

Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

> But, Timothy Hall, you can reach SmartUpdate from SmartConsole R80.x.  It's a menu option, in fact

Of course, but if your evaluation license is expired you can't get into the SmartConsole in the first place.

--
Second Edition of my "Max Power" Firewall Book
Now Available at http://www.maxpowerfirewalls.com

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

True Smiley Happy

Maybe we can have SmartConsole provide a helpful link to SmartUpdate when we encounter a "license expired" situation.

What do you think Tomer Sole‌?

_Val_
Admin
Admin

Good idea, although the licensing GUI client is already on the admin's PC as Timothy Hall‌ mentioned above

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events