cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blason_R
Leader
Leader
Jump to solution

What is exactly creating an alias of interfaces?

Hi Team,

Just wondering creating an alias interface means creating a sub-interface in CISCO? Will it carry the traffic for sub-interfaces if so?

e.g. on Bond20 Physical IP is 192.168.10.20/24 and alias created is 10.10.10.20/24. In that case if 192.168.10.x and 10.10.10.x is on same swtich with default vlan will they able to communicate through firewall?

Thanks and Regards,
Blason R
CCSA,CCSE,CCCS
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

@Blason_R wrote:

Right  - With Vlan there is no issue since I can create multiple however I have maestro device where I need to create around 20 sub-interfaces as previously network was terminated on Router where those sub-interfaces are defined without vlan.

I can't speak to the upper limit that are supported but to achieve this (Aliases) on Maestro please see sk167073.

If it doesn't work as advertised you should contact TAC.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Basically, yes

0 Kudos
Blason_R
Leader
Leader

Now I tried adding Alias on Interface eth0 and tried pulling in topology it did not appear as a sub-interface. I believe it should appear there right?

Thanks and Regards,
Blason R
CCSA,CCSE,CCCS
0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

If the default VLAN is 2 for example you might get away with bond0 and bond0.2 both having IPs if you're lucky (depending upon how the switch handles your tagged and untagged frames) but I'd suggest you go about fixing the design that requires this in the first place...

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

On the Cisco side are you using different VLANs or secondary IPs as they serve seperate purposes?

(Again secondary IPs from a design perspective are sub-optimal)

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Blason_R
Leader
Leader

Right  - With Vlan there is no issue since I can create multiple however I have maestro device where I need to create around 20 sub-interfaces as previously network was terminated on Router where those sub-interfaces are defined without vlan.

Thanks and Regards,
Blason R
CCSA,CCSE,CCCS
0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

@Blason_R wrote:

I can't speak to the upper limit that are supported but to achieve this (Aliases) on Maestro please see sk167073.

If it doesn't work as advertised you should contact TAC.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events