cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rodrigoteixeira
Participant

Questions about trial and standard licensing

Hello.

Does exist any kb or  other official documentation that list exactly what stops to work in Security Gateways and SmarConsole when we are using trial license and when we are using a default license.

Example:
For security gateway using trial license and it is expires, only basic firewall still works. IPS, Application Control, VPN IPSec, Remote Access stop work. And we can´t push new or change the policies.
For SmartConsole/management using trial licenses and it is expires, nothing works.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

It is very simple. Expect any unlicensed feature to fail. Even for FW, if GW is rebooted, the policy will be reversed to Initial. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

There are two things to worry about here: licenses and contracts.
Licenses can either expire or not, contracts always expire at some point. 
Most anything outside of Firewall, VPN, Mobile Access, and DLP have a contract associated with the service.
Perpetual features (Firewall, VPN, Mobile Access, DLP) will always function provided there is a valid license and it has not expired (i.e. not a trial license).
All other features will stop working after their contract has expired and all perpetual features will stop working (fail closed) if operating past expiration date. 
By "stop working" it means you will not be able to push policies that involve the features with an expired contract and any rules involving said features will not match.

For historical reasons, IPS is a bit different in this regard.
Generally, there is a grace period (60 days) and even after the grace period, a limited set of protections will still be active (all other protections will be inactive).
For the exact behavior, see: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

"Perpetual features (Firewall, VPN, Mobile Access, DLP) will always function provided there is a valid license and it has not expired (i.e. not a trial license)."

hey phoneboy, probably you mean valid contract, right ?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

License is accurate in this context.

Note also that this has been simplified on the TP side for several versions now with a reduced reliance on the contracts piece.

Also in recent JHF takes there were amendments to  grace periods for some software blades. 

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Im 100% sure he meant license 🙂

0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

Something not clear to me

Let's say I add MOB license for 50users

This license is perpetual and it will work until a valid contract is attached. Am i wrong?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I cant say for sure regarding specific licenses, but as Chris mentioned, there were some big changes in recent versions, so its less reliable on a contract itself. To be 100% positive, I would verify with Account Services.

0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

the changes that chris is talking about is related to other non-perpetual blades:

Cattura.JPG

i'm now focusing on perpetual blades

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Out of interest what's the scenario that you are in where you wouldn't be purchasing the support for the gateway/blades for this to be relevant?

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

for the same reason Check point implemented the new changes 😄 

so, for example, let's say there is a problem with a renewal order, what happens to some perpetual features we are talking about?

i did the example with a MOB license.... people will continue to be able to connect after contract expiration? i don't think so, but honestly i never faced this problem

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

If there is a problem with the renewal, I do what CP Sales engineers recommend...give customer full eval until renewal is sorted out. Issues solved 🙂

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Subject to fair use Evaluation licenses are available via self-service for such scenarios as Andy says.

There are different options available here, all gateway blades versus dedicated mobile access etc.

Refer:

https://usercenter.checkpoint.com/ucapps/prodeval

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
svori
Contributor
Contributor

If a customer is failing to renew in time and Eval is used in meantime, what happens with support ?

Not possible until licenses are renewed or does it depend on function/blade ?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

A discussion should be had with the customers Check Point account team to review options for gap coverage. Likely (subject to approval) they would be limited to phone support only until the renewal is processed. 

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

As Chris said, best is to discuss with account team (or your local SE rep). I never had an issue where support was refused due to this, because lets be honest about it...no vendor in this world would want to lose any customer (no matter how big or small) for such a trivial reason.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Features that are perpetually licensed do not require a contract associated with them to function.

IMCristian_Rosa
Explorer

Hello,

According to Checkpoint's SE, perpetual licenses, for example MOB, even when expired, will continue to work.

Does that make sense to you?

Att,

Cristian Rosa

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Last time I checked, word perpetual meant never ending, so to me, such license would never expire : - )

But, I could be wrong, would not be first OR last time lol

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events