cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chen_Muchtar
Employee
Employee

Quantum - HyperFlow, Now in EA!

We are very excited to share that HyperFlow Early Available program is now open for registration.

In today’s fast changing environment, with a growing demand to address different traffic volumes per connection, HyperFlow is designed to automatically tackle such challenges.

Integrated with additional existing gateway performance features like Dynamic Balancing, HyperFlow allows seamless gateway tuning and optimization in the way we utilize the hardware providing Check Point unprecedented security.

See it in action - Demo & Overview of the new advancements:

HyperFlow EA is mainly for NGTP customers with appliance models of 8 cores and above.
Customer’s benefits:

• Influence – Ability to shape Check Point’s cyber security upcoming products
    • Full technical support provided by EA & RnD through the entire process
    • Upgrade from EA to GA once available
(1)
53 Replies
Alexander_Wilke
Advisor

We need at minimum 8 cores. OK.

What if we have several elephant flows. VMware data replication, NFS connections IBM TSM backups run in parallel in the night. Can we have multiple "Hyper Flow" processes running if we have enough CPUs?

What about support for 64k Scalable Plattform running R80.20SP (or newer) Will this be supported, too?

What about so called "complex protocols" like CIFS, NFS. Is this supported because it was not 2 years ago.
Or perhaps tell us the protocols which are NOT supported by HyperFlow.

Will it work for UDP Streams, too? Like Cisco with their WLAN Tunneling Protocol called CAPWAP which establishes one single connections, based on UDP to ransfer all traffic from one WLAN AP to the other (Foreign Controller, Anchor Controller).

Regards

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

All good questions Alexander - but please keep in mind this baby step 1.

In my option the solution is only for high end deployments and I would not be surprised if somewhere down the line the NVidia cards will also play a part.

I think Checkpoint have a very long way to go to resolving what I actually feel is a vendor independent challenge; until a solution is available in the lower end devices ie. 4 cores this is somewhat of a DC type resolution.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

No, 8 cores or more. With 4 cores there is not enough CPUs to balance around

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Good questions. Let's tag @Chen_Muchtar here 🙂

0 Kudos
Chen_Muchtar
Employee
Employee

HyperFlow processes amount is dynamically adjusted according to the load (EF load and overall system load).

HyperFlow will be supported on Cluster, VSX and Maestro platforms starting R81.20. Any demand to support older versions (R80.40 and above) will be evaluated individually.

Protocols:

-          NFS is supported.

-          CIFS/SMB is currently not supported, but targeted to be in Q2 timeframe for early availability (dev in advanced progress) 

-          Other known protocols, which are currently not supported are: LDAP, VOIP, SSH/sftp/scp, UDP 

(2)
Alexander_Wilke
Advisor

Hello,

in the Demo we can see a http web traffic via curl with 50MB/s (400 MBit/s) which can be increased up to ~200MB/s (1.600 Mbit/s).

My question is, why is it not possible to reach e.g. 10 Gbit/s in a Single Stream with enough CPU Cores?

I assume that the traffic needs to match specific criteria to get faster transferred with HyperFLow. e.g. Protocol Inspection or other "deep inspection" which then can be offloaded to the different other CPU cores.

What will happen if you run the same download traffic for a rules configured in "fw ctl fast_accel" ? I assume HypeFlow will only improve speed for non-fully-accelerated traffic.

So in other words:
If I run a tcp stream for a backup from src: 10.10.10.10 to 20.20.20.20 using port 80 AND using such a rule
"fw ctl fast_accel add 10.10.10.10/32 20.20.20.20/32 80 6"

Will I have any benefits from HyperFlow in this specific scenario? I assume not because nothing to offload from one CoreXL to another. Everything is done within the SND.

Are there plans to split a TCP stream to different SNDs so fully accelerated traffic can be offloaded? Or is this not possible because SND is pretty close to network card and many things already offloaded to the NIC itself?

Thank you very much for clarification in advance!

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

fast_accel bypasses certain traffic's medium path and accelerates it through SXL exclusively. You can only do that for 100% trusted traffic. HyperFlow allows medium path inspection but utilises more than a single core for it, hence it can also apply to not so trusted heavy connections.

0 Kudos
Alexander_Wilke
Advisor

I do not put this security benefit into question. But my internal backup traffic is trusted and I want to compare "fast_accel" with "HyperFlow" only focussing on throughput. So will HyperFlow help me with fully accelerated traffic to speed it up more than without HyperFlow?

Are there plans to use more than one SND for a single connection or is this technically not possible?

0 Kudos
(1)
_Val_
Admin
Admin

The answer is no, HyperFlow will not add any benefit if your traffic is already going though fast_accel. In fact, depending on your multi-queue settings, more than a single SND is involved in forwarding the traffic, on the interfaces sides 

0 Kudos
Alexander_Wilke
Advisor

Thanks for the answer according HyperFlow/fast_accel.

The Multi-Queue answer is not suiteable for my question. I am interested in if there are plans and techniques to split/distribute ONE SINGLE TCP Connection to different SNDs. At the moment a single connection sticks exactly on one SND or on two if two interfaces are used.

So the limit for fast_accel and the limit for HyperFlow in ONE SINGLE connection is still limited by one SND / CPU Core. So to be honest - HyperFlow for Backups - if you already trust it - will not give any benefit. I am repeating the "backup" every time because this is mentioned in the video as a good scenario for HyperFlow.

From my perspective HyperFlow is more useful for daily business where Inspections are active, where users browse the web, or download files which we do not trust.

On the other hand hyperFlow is still no solution for elephant flows which happen in the night - so called backups.

So again, any plans to distribute ONE SINGLE TCP STREAM to different SNDs ? Or technically not possible? THIS would increase throughput for already trusted backups.

PS:
I am ware of lightspeed cards which will solve this issue.

0 Kudos
(1)
_Val_
Admin
Admin

That is an off-topic question here, I am afraid, totally unrelated to HyperFlow and CoreXL. That said, let me check if I could find an answer.

My personal opinion, that would be very problematic to achieve though. SecureXL code is minimalistic, and any parallel processing requires a load-balanced of sorts to form the correct sequence of operations. SND has this functionality for FWKs, but putting another dispatching instance inside SND population seems very hard to do.

0 Kudos
Alexander_Wilke
Advisor

The intention of HyperFlow was to solve the issue with Elephant Flows. Elephant Flows are trusted, high volume, high throughput traffic inside DataCenters. Like Backups.

But HyperFlow will not address this problem. It will not improve these trusted, high volume, high throughput sessions in the night.

Improving trusted, high volume, high throughput traffic in the night like backups the only solution CheckPoint can offer is Lightspeed Cards with its known limitations. HyperFlow does not address this issue even if marketing wants to belive us that it will.

Sorry to say that.

_Val_
Admin
Admin

@Alexander_Wilke I think you are getting upset here and jumping to incorrect conclusions, so let's start from the beginning.

HyperFlow is designed to resolve an obvious bottleneck with Heavy Connections going through Medium Path. 

This is how we define "Heavy Connections" (Quoting from sk164215😞

Heavy connection flow system definition:

• Specific instance CPU is over 60%
  • Suspected connection lasts more than 5 seconds
  • Suspected connection utilizes more than 50% of the total work the instance does
    • In other words, connection CPU utilization must be > 30%

Mind by "instance" SK talks about FWK instance. Fully accelerated connections, as in your case, are something else completely. We have never said HyperFlow would address performance for 100% accelerated flows. 

Hence your statement "HyperFlow does not address this issue even if marketing wants to believe us that it will" is... well... inaccurate. If indeed someone else tried to state that, please provide me with more details in a private message, so we could address this internally, to avoid any misunderstandings in the future. 

skandshus
Advisor
Advisor

In terms of "available" in r81.20 are we still talking 8 core's minimum?

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

@skandshus Yes, it does not make sense when you have less than 8

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Is Hyperflow supported on open hardware or VMWare with at least 8 cores?  Based on my lab work with R81.20 in VWWare it appears the answer is no.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Chen_Muchtar
Employee
Employee

No, only CP appliances 

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Hi @Chen_Muchtar a few questions:

Zero Phishing is shown as being boosted by Hyperflow (along with IPS/AV/ABOT) in SK178070 but nowhere else I can find including here at CheckMates, is that really correct? If so what specific ZPH operation is boosted? PM, MD5?

Threat Emulation & Threat Extraction are not boosted by Hyperflow, but connections subject to TE/TX inspection will not stop boosting from occurring for the other supported blades, correct?

Does use of any blades other than Content Awareness and DLP block boosting?

Are the Dynamic Dispatcher and Priority Queues required to be enabled for Hyperflow to boost?  I would assume at least the latter would be required for the Evaluator/Eviluator elephant flow identifier to trigger boosting.

Can Lightspeed and Hyperflow be used together on the same system?  Not completely sure here but it looks like Lightspeed requires UPPAK (usim) but Hyperflow requires KPPAK (sim)?  Thanks! 

(1)
Chen_Muchtar
Employee
Employee

Regarding Zero Phishing, Threat Emulation & Threat Extractions:

Small correction (also updated in the SK), Threat Emulation & Threat Extraction, can be boosted by HyperFlow, since they require the MD5 result of files, Zero Phishing on the other hand, does not need it, and hence is not being boosted, nevertheless, connections subject to it, will not stop boosting from occurring for the other supported blades.

Regarding Content Awareness and DLP:

It may be more precise to say, that they potentially decrease the boost, rather than blocking it, the reason is that these blades add more synchronous work to the FW instance, which results in a smaller portion of the work that can be sent to HyperFlow. We are currently not aware of other such blades.

Regarding Dynamic Dispatcher and Priority Queues:

Dynamic Dispatcher is required for Dynamic Balancing to be enabled, and Dynamic Balancing is required for HyperFlow to be enabled.

Disabling Priority Queues does not affect the Evaluator/Eviluator, so it will continue to work regardless.

Regarding Lightspeed and HyperFlow:

Lightspeed is currently supported on R81.10 JHF, while HyperFlow on R81.20.

On R82, and future R81.20 JHF, yes, they will be able to operate together on the same system.

Is there a specific place implying that HyperFlow requires KPPAK? We would want to change it if so.

(1)
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Thanks @Chen_Muchtar that answered all my questions exactly!

As far as KPPAK being required for Hyperflow I saw that in the thread below, but reading through the response again it is unclear to me now what Amit is referring to.

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/SmartConsole-Extensions/CoreXL-Dynamic-Balancing-amp-HyperFlow/m...

0 Kudos
AmitShmuel
Employee
Employee

What I meant there, is that currently Dynamic Balancing is not supported in UPPAK/LS in R81.10 JHF, it will be supported in R82 and future R81.20 or R81.10 JHF.

(1)
cezar_varlan1
Collaborator

Is Hyperflow supported on Cloud Guard instances or is this just a Check Point appliance only feature?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Not supported at this time, please refer sk178070.

If we're talking Quantum series appliance then it is 6700 and higher.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Sort of a related question @Chen_Muchtar: Is there any user-tunable way to increase the 24 hour period of heavy connections reported by fw ctl multik print_heavy_conn?  I poked around in the config of CPdiag but didn't see anything.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events