Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Appliance disk partition sizing / extremely limited snapshot space

Hi

I would like to return to one old topic brought up by @Kris_Pellens here Installation of Gaia / Partitioning of disks on 16000/23000 appliances during a fresh installation 

We have no issues as Kris had with VSX itself, but my concern is inability to create more than two snapshots with current "hardcoded" partition sizing, for example in our case 26800T:

image.png

I have highlighted in green two snapshots, one taken before R80.40 upgrade (24GB) and another straight after (15GB)

And now we have only 6GB left and that's not enough to add a third snapshot. Whilst log partition is mostly unused 25/292GB!

Whilst I understand that Checkpoint does it's own calculations @sharonab , I would like to show that it seems to be rather "miscalculated" at least for newer enterprise appliances.

If you compare to 23800 with two snapshots with the same size (24+19), we still have nearly 100GB free as log partition is 100GB smaller:

image.png

I think this really needs to be addressed as it is affecting operations ability to perform fast rollbacks if we need to juggle with two snapshots.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sharonab
Employee
Employee

@Kaspars_Zibarts    i understand your points , and they were raised as part of discussion of future partitioning (and we will keep them in mind).

for your specific distribution  26800T can support up to 128G memory , so in order to support kernel core dump(at max utilization ) we need at least  1.5* memory size (1 for the core it self then as we compress it we need 0.5 of the core size ) which is 192 

Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

thanks for clarification! At least I can understand the requirement for log partition! In that case it seems that HDD should have been bigger to support both - core dumps from 128GB RAM and more than two snapshots 🙂 

Kris_Pellens
Collaborator

Hi Kaspars,

Thank you for feedback. Last year, I asked the Check Point account team to provide bigger disks (e.g. 2 x 1TB SSDs). So far no answer (> 1 year!); we are in the situation where we can no longer take snapshots. You would expect a little more from devices that cost more than 300000 Euros!?

Kind regards,
Kris

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

I'll see what I can get here! But certainly does not look good for "high end"  appliances!

@Nicklas_Bargell - fancy reading this thread and discussing with account team? 🙂

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events