Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_Warnagiris
Advisor

API TEX -- Request-URI Too Long

Hello Checkmates.  I have a customer with TEX running on their GWs.  They use APIs to send files to be cleaned.  We monkied around with the settings and are generally able to do files of up to 60M without any problems.  This has been working fine for some time.  All of a sudden instead of 60M, the developer could only pass 15M files (the default).

So I'm going back through my configs to check my stuff.  All looks fine in:

1. In configuration file /opt/CPUserCheckPortal/conf/httpd.conf  replace  LimitRequestBody <..>  with  LimitRequestBody 
  2. 2. In configuration file /opt/CPUserCheckPortal/conf/php.ini  replace  memory_limit = <..>  with  memory_limit = 2G
  3. In script file /opt/CPUserCheckPortal/htdocs/UserCheck/TPAPI  replace  ini_set('memory_limit','180M');  with  ini_set('memory_limit','900M');

So I started looking in other places.  Following sk113599 (I verified everything from the beginning through 6B) I was just double checking my work.  All looked fine.  All of a sudden the developer reported back that he can no longer send files to https://172.x.x.1/UserCheck/TPAPI and that https://172.x.x.1:18194/tecloud/api/v1/file/upload did work.  I know he needs to use the former URL.  So looking through sk113599 I took the API key out of /opt/CPUserCheckPortal/phpincs/conf/TPAPI.ini  and tested.  My response is 

Request-URI Too Long

The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.

I looked for help with this error, but nothing at CP and the web is just generic.  Anyone have any thoughts on this.  Running R80.30 with JHF236.

Perplexing. I am certainly not the only engineer at this place.  Anyone could have made any change, but generally would not make a change they are not sure of.  This is why I was going back to check the basics.  Any thoughts on the URI too long?

Thanks,
Paul

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Paul_Warnagiris
Advisor

Interestingly enough I just heard from this customer about the error message.  They also run the DLP blade.  Apparently when they get a DPL ask user, the user clicks on the link to review the email and they get the same request-uri too long.  Looks to me more than just TEX.  Not sure if that rings any bells.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Possible something got adjusted inadvertently in one of the jumbos.
And...can already see you have a TAC case on this.

0 Kudos
Paul_Warnagiris
Advisor

Thanks Dameon.  When I don't get a response within 24 hours on this site I generally figure its time to open a TAC case.  I'll report back what we find if its relevant.

Thanks,
Paul

0 Kudos
hedmondjohn
Explorer

This rare condition is only likely to occur when a client has improperly converted a POST request to a GET request with long query information. The HTTP 414 URI Too Long response status code indicates that the URI(Uniform Resource Identifier) requested by the client is longer than the server is willing to interpret.

To resolve this problem :

• By POST request: Convert query string to json object and sent to API request with POST.
  • By GET request: Max length of request is depend on sever side as well as client side. Most webserver have limit 8k which is configurable. On the client side the different browser has different limit. The browser IE and Safari limit to 2k, Opera 4k and Firefox 8k. This means that the max length for the GET request is 8k and min request length is 2k.

If exceed the request max length then the request truncated outside the limit by web server or browser without any warning. Some server truncated request data but the some server reject it because of data lose and they will return with response code 414 Request-URI Too Long.

Under Apache, the limit is a configurable value, LimitRequestLine. If you want to increase URL limit to 5000 characters (bytes), add the following lines to your server configuration or virtual host file.

LimitRequestLine 5000

If you want to increase maximum header length supported by Apache to 3000 characters, then add the following line.

LimitRequestFieldSize 3000

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events