cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Fleming
Advisor
Jump to solution

What is supported for SNMP?

Hi so I'm having a hard time understanding what is supported for polling. I was going through the mib file located on the SMB device and found OIDs for pulling licensing info. Snmpwalk of the tree returns nothing. Like empty strings (I guess that is technically something).. its not saying the OID doesn't exist, its just returning a empty string. I opened a ticket with support and they're telling me the only thing supported on the SMB is what is listed on the snmp page. I pointed out everything listed there is a snmptrap which is different then a polled OID. I was told to file a RFE, which I think is basically the generic go way message. :). I did open like 6 other tickets so its possible they're getting a bit tired of me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
John_Fleming
Advisor

To loop back around on this, tac final agreed something was wrong. At first they were thinking the snmp trap page is the only thing supported but after discussing polling/trapping they reviewed things and opened a task with CFG. 

Fix is in  R80.20.01 (992000915)

There are still a few things do look sort of strange but at least I can see the CK and some of the license info now.

If you want your snmp issues fixed bother support. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
HristoGrigorov

Stop bothering with TAC, they rarely know about such things. 

You can monitor nearly everything with SNMP. Memory and CPU usage, storage space, network interfaces, VPN status, cluster status, etc. The only thing that I am unable to monitor is FANs, voltages and temperatures. I was thinking to open RFE about this but for now I use my own script to do that.

Anyway, if you are using Zabbix I can provide you with ready to use template. 

This document is all you need: SNMP Best Practices 

And the right CHECKPOINT-MIB of course:

checkpoint MODULE-IDENTITY
LAST-UPDATED "201312261309Z"
ORGANIZATION "Check Point"
CONTACT-INFO "Check Point"
DESCRIPTION "Check Point MIB
See the most common OIDs, with detailed descriptions, in the SNMP Best Practices Guide - sk98552
(https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...)"
REVISION "201312261309Z"
DESCRIPTION "Update the SMIv1 MIB to SMIv2"
::= { enterprises 2620 }

0 Kudos
John_Fleming
Advisor

Funny you say that. Playing around with Zabbix is what lead me to here. I'm using the 3.4 template from zabbix user download section.

Good to know the mib hasn't been updated in 7 years. ;). Looks like the same mib on the SMB.

/shrug

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

Yes, I also used the template from Zabbix downloads but extended it with triggers for VPNs and Cluster monitoring. I wonder why it is not working for you then...

0 Kudos
John_Fleming
Advisor

I guess I wasn't clear on this. SNMP polling works fine. SNMP polling of the licensing OID tree does not work. It returns empty strings. 

Basically snmpwalk - .1.3.6.1.4.1.2620.1.6.18 (which should be  svnLicensing)

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

Yes, same here. Only SVN Foundation (.1.3.6.1.4.1.2620.1.6.1.0) is reported.

0 Kudos
Pedro_Espindola
Advisor

SNMP is a mess in these appliances. MIBs are not accurate, most OIDs do not work and there are some OIDs that work but are not in the MIBs (Example: IPS stats).

I had to created separate templates for enterprise appliances and SMB 1400 appliances. I didn't test the 1500s, but I already expect I'll have to create a third template.

John_Fleming
Advisor

To loop back around on this, tac final agreed something was wrong. At first they were thinking the snmp trap page is the only thing supported but after discussing polling/trapping they reviewed things and opened a task with CFG. 

Fix is in  R80.20.01 (992000915)

There are still a few things do look sort of strange but at least I can see the CK and some of the license info now.

If you want your snmp issues fixed bother support. 

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events