cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create a Post

R77.20.87 Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator

They did it again - in addition to sk151574: R77.20.87 for Small and Medium Business Appliances, we now have the fresh new sk153433: R77.20.87 Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator with the new firmware image Build 2960.

Nice to have a new build and a list of resolved issues - but for what reason name it Jumbo HF (which it is not, just a plain installation image containing fixed components) ? Or will R77.20.87 stay as a kind of final version for 7x0/9110/14x0 models that will get updated this Jumbo HF way from now on ?

0 Kudos
11 Replies

Re: R77.20.87 Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator

I think the answer is hidden in this sentence: "This Incremental Hotfix and this article are periodically updated with new fixes."

0 Kudos

R77.20.87 Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator

Yes, i did read it - but this is not a Hotfix, but a (some bugs fixed) firmware image. But i do not like this terminology here because - technically speaking - it is just wrong... Sounds like a marketing McGuffin - we now even have a Jumbo for SMB appliances (broad smile) !

Yeah, sounds a bit funny to have JHF for SMBs 🙂 But I think this comes from the CheckPoint internal development process for releasing hotfixes and it is more or less unified for all kind of devices. Only the way it is delivered is different. 

0 Kudos

I see a basic difference between them - a current CPUSE HFA / Jumbo contains fixed software pieces (e.g. rpms, scripts, binaries) and a lot of installation intelligence. The R77.20.87 Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator is a (sequence of) new firmware image(s), nothing else.

0 Kudos

Some time ago i gave feedback in sk156192 TCP SACK PANIC requesting a link to the - available - SMB firmware version. Now it has been updated as follows:

SMB (700/900/1400) - R77.20.87 Jumbo Hotfix Accumulator- Build 2960 (and higher).

SMB (600/1100/1200R) - Contact Check Point Support to get a Hotfix for this issue. A Support Engineer will make sure the Hotfix is compatible with your environment before providing the Hotfix.

0 Kudos

Did anyone here test build 2960? Is it good? Can I move from 2929 with no worries?

0 Kudos

I run it for few days already. It is super stable for me. Centrally managed cluster of 1470s.

0 Kudos

Great! Thanks

0 Kudos
Admin
Admin

A version increase usually implies new features and functionality whereas a jumbo hotfix is just bugfixes.
In the case of SMBs, there really isn't a "patch" mechanism like on non-SMB gateways.
As such, we have to distribute patches as a new firmware image.
We did the same thing in IPSO, using the "FCS" or "Build" moniker to differentiate within the same version.

Not only IPSO was  distributed that way, but also the predecessor of GAiA Embedded running on Safe@Office / Edge appliances called Embedded NGX. We also had the separate bootloader and ADSL firmware files in Embedded NGX. But installation was only possible using TFTP 😞...

0 Kudos
Admin
Admin

Modern-day SMB appliances have a similar bootloader, but it can be loaded via USB.
0 Kudos