Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HristoGrigorov

Bad Firmware Magic Number

I have recently noticed the following message in /var/log/messages:

2020 Mar 18 03:34:00 CPFW-2 cron.info crond[7781]: USER root pid 13209 cmd /storage/cpdiag/bin/cpdiag --periodic
2020 Mar 18 03:34:04 CPFW-2 user.info firmTool: Bad Firmware Magic Number

It appears to be a bug in 'cpdiag' because it appears even when I run it manually.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Appliance and firmware versions?

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

1470 Appliance R77.20.87 - Build 004 and two of them with the same message. Appeared after an USB flash.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Refer this to TAC please

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

Only if you promise it will hit R&D right after that 🙂

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Scratch that, both departments do not report to me.

Here is what is said: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

Symptoms
  • "[DATE TIME] ... user.info firmTool: Bad Firmware Magic Number" message is logged in the /var/log/messages file on the gateway.
Solution

No fix is required; the system is functioning as designed.

Message "Bad Firmware Magic Number" is displayed when some process tries to check the secondary firmware version.
If the device does not have a secondary firmware installed (which is fine), this message is shown in the logs.

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

Yeah, thanx for digging this up for me. I however do have a secondary firmware installed and that message never appeared before. I think this message does not point to a real problem hence why I did not open SR yet. I posted it here because I am curious to know why it suddenly started to appear after I did USB flash.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events