Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BLD
Contributor
Jump to solution

1550 Appliance unexpected reboots

Hi.

We have had the appliance for a few weeks.

In the past 5 days our notification logs show 3 "unexpected reboot" notices. We have had no power or other issues in our site. How can we get more information to find the cause of these reboots? We have found nothing in the logs. Do logs survive a reboot?

Firmaware version is R80.20 (992000668)

Thanks.

119 Replies
BLD
Contributor

Not the solution yet.

We got another unexpected reboot last night.

So we will keep on working with TAC

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

Kernel panic or just hard reset ?

0 Kudos
BLD
Contributor

As all previous ones, an "Unexpected reboot" notification.  5 out of the past 9 unexpected reboots happened very close to 01:02:00 hrs.

How do you differentiate kernel panic from hard reset?

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

Kernal panic will dump stack trace in console and also in /logs directory there will be *panic* files. It is usually problem in a driver or kernel space routine.

Hard reset is usually because of a hardware problem. For example voltage drops too low and device just resets (kernel has no way to handle that so no dumps and panic files).

HristoGrigorov

Btw, if you have panic files that will be nice to see. Last few lines from either of them is enough to paste here. 

0 Kudos
BLD
Contributor

Almost two months with TAC and no solution. Unexpected reboots continue.

We regret buying this appliance.

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

There was someone from R&D that wanted to investigate it. What happened with that ?

0 Kudos
BLD
Contributor

Sent emails (SMB Project Management Team Leader).

No response.

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

@PhoneBoy can you assist with bringing R&D attention to this case ? Even a single report for appliance that reboots by itself is quite disturbing...

0 Kudos
Amir_Ayalon
Employee
Employee

use R80.20.02

sk165454

it should solve it

if you still have issues - please email me

amiray@checkpoint.com

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

To confirm the reboots are continuing using R80.20.02 or other release?

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
BLD
Contributor

Hi Chris.

We have been following TAC instructions since beginning of January.

Device does not offer R80.20.02

We have R80.20.01  with an image supplied by TAC 992000909 .

The supplied a fix last week (992001050) but it produced other errors and we had to revert to above.

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

Just go and download it from sk165454 and do manual upgrade. It will not appear as new firmware in the appliance until R&D is sure it is rock stable.

In future monitor sk97766, that's is where the latest firmwares are published.

0 Kudos
BLD
Contributor

That's version R80_992000936_20.

We already tested last week R80_992001050_20  supplied by TAC (which is supposedly newer) and it had major problems. We had to revert.

0 Kudos
Amir_Ayalon
Employee
Employee

950 is not newer. the latest is  R80.20.02  image 936

sk165454

if you still have issues afterward please email me 

amiray@checkpoint.com

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
Anyone who's having issues with this, please PM me your SRs with TAC.
Amir_Ayalon
Employee
Employee

please use R80.20.02

sk165454

0 Kudos
BLD
Contributor

I have a case in TAC and it has been escalated.

I have to stick to their instructions. Otherwise, what is Premium Support for if forums were better sources?

As said in my previous post we already tested R80.20.02 1050 given by TAC with very bad results.

0 Kudos
Amir_Ayalon
Employee
Employee

Hi

with whom are you talking with TAC ?

please share contact. i'll sync them.

thanks

0 Kudos
BLD
Contributor

Guy Kogan is latest person in charge.

I have copied you by email from the SR as well.

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
Had similar issues on a 1590, yesterday updated that one to R80.20.02, need to see what happens.
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
BLD
Contributor

AGAIN last night an unexpected reboot.

AGAIN 10 days after last reboot.

AGAIN near midnight UTC

TAC is still silent about next steps.

Image.jpeg

0 Kudos
Amir_Ayalon
Employee
Employee

Hi

As i already told you please upgrade to R80.20.02 image 936

until you do so, no point to complain on unexpected reboots

0 Kudos
BLD
Contributor

I have asked TAC and they have not instructed me to do so.

A firewall which for 3 months has been giving unexpected reboots is not to complain?

You discredit your company with such a comment to a customer (and I am not alone) suffering the consequences of a faulty product..

Amir_Ayalon
Employee
Employee
Hi
if you prefer to wait for an official TAC response this is of course your right, and it even makes sense.
but once we have informed you that the issue is resolved on the latest GA, i don't really see the point in complaining the issue on an older firmware.
we are aware of it, and as you saw - we have a solution.
so, this is not a complain about your complain - on the contrary - we welcome your feedback, but once the issue is resolved - you should upgrade.
if the issue will be seen again on R80.20.02 we will be more then happy to hear.
(issue with TAC response time is being discusses internally)

thanks
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Just to clarify, @Amir_Ayalon is from our R&D who works in the SMB area. You should give strong consideration to what he has to say on this issue. 

Why TAC isn't yet suggesting this build to you is a separate issue we'll investigate. In any case, we are eager to receive your feedback whether or not this new build solves the issue for you.

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

Don't know how exactly it is organized in CheckPoint but I have worked for several similar size companies and most of them had 3 levels of support - help desk, tech support and dev support. Names vary of course. Any of them can assist you directly in providing support services. So CP R&D is part of TAC in a way...

My recommendation is also to listen to Amir and upgrade to solve the problem. Then when you are completing the survey ask for manager to contact you and provide the feedback you want.

I had my issues with SMB support in the past and did like that and they made an improvement. What I like about CheckPoint is that they do listen do their customer complains actually.

0 Kudos
Max_Baumgarten
Contributor

Got one as well.  I am running R80.20.01 (992000899)

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion
I have found that after at least a day since last reboot, when I start a download of several Gigs of data it all the sudden thinks it should reboot.
I have a 1590 with 350Mb connection and all NGTP blades turned on in optimized profile. A very small APCL/URLF sublayer to only drop critical category.
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
John_Fleming
Advisor

I have about 13 days of uptime since upgrading to R80.20.02.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events