Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create a Post
David_Won
Nickel

How to increase VPN timeout limits?

Jump to solution

We currently have our VPN users set to an 8 hour timeout. We have one supplier that needs this to be longer though. Is there any way to increase the length of time without doing it for all users?

Currently running E80.81 for the client and R77.30 on our gateways.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David_Won
Nickel

Re: How to increase VPN timeout limits?

Jump to solution

I must be reading his comment wrong. I see it saying I have an 8 hour max. He also says I can only change it in the gui or guidbedit. 

The doc I posted says I can go to 1440 so I'll assume that is still the max.

So you are saying that my change below looks ok?

:neo_user_re_auth_timeout (
:gateway (endpoint_vpn_user_re_auth_timeout
:default (1440)

0 Kudos
14 Replies
XBensemhoun
Silver

Jump to solution

I think that this 8 hours is not a sort of timeout but concretely the Re-Authentication period.

In the Remote Access Clients for Windows 32/64-bit Administration Guide E80.72 and Higher we can learn that we can change the value in In Authentication Settings of Global Properties > Remote Access > Endpoint Connect

But this can be also change more specifically per Security Gateway or per client using the trac.defaults neo_user_re_auth_timeout variable.

Could you try changing this value and telling us if that answer to your needs?

0 Kudos
Admin
Admin

Jump to solution

If you want to do it per user group: Remote Access clients configuration based on group membership 

0 Kudos
David_Won
Nickel

Jump to solution

That's exactly what I was looking for. Putting int he required paperwork now to test this next week. Will update with results.

Thanks

David_Won
Nickel

Jump to solution

Will this work when the user belongs to multiple groups and is there anything I should be wary of regarding this.

The user currently is currently in 4 different user groups. These are used in 4 different VPN rules.

Was thinking of making a new group called ExtendedTimeout and making the ExtendedTimeout.ttf with a 24 hour timeout. Would I just add the user to this group along with the groups they already have? Does this new group need to be used in an access rule anywhere?

0 Kudos
Admin
Admin

Jump to solution

I don't believe the group has to be used in the rulebase, the group just needs to exist and users need to be members of it.

0 Kudos
David_Won
Nickel

Jump to solution

Went to make the change this morning but can't find how to properly change the value in the ttm file.

I assume that the section we want to change is the neo_user_re_auth_timeout

From this doc I found the max is 24 hours though. We wanted to change it something closer to a week for this one specific account.

This screenshot is from an older doc I found.

https://downloads.checkpoint.com/fileserver/SOURCE/direct/ID/7262/FILE/Integrity_SecureClient_Mobile... 

Do these values still hold true for max? And if I am able to change it to something else what is the proper syntax?

Currently running R77.30

Finding the docs confusing.

Would I change

:default (client_decide)

to

Really want 10080 instead of 1440.

Help please!!   

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

In sk75221 Remote Access TTM Configuration relevant for the used version, we find that:

Attributes that were defined in the Security Management (SmartCenter) database schema cannot be changed in the TTM file. They can only be changed via SmartDashboard or via the GuiDBEdit tool. Examples: tunnel_idleness_ignored_tcp_ports, tunnel_idleness_timeout, location_awareness_dc_check, location_awareness_enabled etc. More information on these attributes can be found in the Admin Guide. Parameter tunnel_idleness_timeout is listed in sk42850 with a similar comment.

But i think i have found your 8 hours limit:

0 Kudos
David_Won
Nickel

Jump to solution

If you look at my message you see that there is a limit of up to 1440 minutes from what I'm seeing. That is 24 hours. 

I was asking how to modify the ttm file correctly to use this value. Also the screenshot you showed is from the new version which is different from what I understand. 

0 Kudos
Admin
Admin

Jump to solution

According to what I'm reading, this should be the correct approach (your modifications to trac_client_1.ttm).

Note while Guenther is showing a screenshot from R80.x, it's the same in R77.30 as well (just "looks" different).

0 Kudos
David_Won
Nickel

Jump to solution

I must be reading his comment wrong. I see it saying I have an 8 hour max. He also says I can only change it in the gui or guidbedit. 

The doc I posted says I can go to 1440 so I'll assume that is still the max.

So you are saying that my change below looks ok?

0 Kudos
Admin
Admin

Jump to solution

All of those things are true.

Your change looks ok

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The only document refering to neo_user_re_auth_timeout is R70 VPN Administration Guide, so i am really eager to know if this works !

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I found the answer: endpoint_vpn_user_re_auth_timeout is refered to in sk62581 EndPoint Connect users required to re-authenticate every 480 minutes

Highlighted
David_Won
Nickel

Jump to solution

Seems to have worked guys. I have made the changes and added myself to the group. VPN'd in and I have the 1440 timeout in my settings now.

Still need to leave things connected for a day and double test though.

Thanks

0 Kudos