Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshua42
Explorer

Capsule VPN on Android Pie Crashing

I have a Samsung Tab S3 (and also a Tab S6 that just arrived) running stock Android Pie. Capsule VPN used to work just fine until yesterday.

There was an Android Pie and Samsung One UI update that I installed on both devices (did not get a chance to test VPN on the new tablet) and now the client crashes when I enter my login and try to connect. At first I thought it was just the S6 and a newer OS, but the S3 didn't work either last evening, and the only change there was the update.

I checked the play store for any updates to the client, but was only greeted with a message saying "This app may not be optimized for your device" and the last update is dated 7/17/2019.

Has anyone else experienced this? I tried a few other VPN clients in the hopes that they would be compatible, but they appear to not work.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Sounds like a TAC case may be in order so we can see what's happening.
0 Kudos
Joshua42
Explorer

SOLVED!!!-ish!!!

So, I found in the log file for the Android client this (partial) error message:

illegalstateexception focus search returned a view that wasn't able to take focus

I ended up Googling it and finding a Stack Overflow post regarding focus on text boxes in Java and figured it (or at least a workaround) out.

Using the physical keyboard on my two Tab Ses (3 & 6) I would trigger this exception, but if I used the virtual keyboard and hit "Go" or the physical keyboard and tapped the "Connect" button, then it would connect.

I am okay with this personally, but I believe something in the security update made the keyboard "Enter" press end up with a fatal exception.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events